1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pratt & Whitney illegally sold military tech to China

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nah, they're too hard to conquer.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yes.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So every Wal-Mart shopper is guilty of conspiring with the enemy?

4. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

It is astounding how many commie-hating free enterprisers are so darn eager to do business with a Communist nation. Profits over patriotism.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's too bad Bill Clinton isn't the President.

He'd know how to deal with this.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah, that'd be great. 'Cept, who's gonna build new jet engines?

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Where there is demand there will inevitably be supply.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sure. We can get GE or Rolls Royce to make them.

www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/04/military-ge-f136-jsf-engine

www.indystar.com/article/20120605/BUSINESS/206050362/Rolls-Royce-must-face-whistle-blower-suit-over-Defense-contracts

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yes, I realize GE and Rolls Royce make jet engines. My helicopter uses GE engines and another variant of it uses Rolls Royce engines (I think).

I don't think you guys realize the time and money that goes into aviation research and design.

You don't just call Pratt and Whitney and say, "Hey, we need a new engine for this Black Hawk helicopter by next week." That process would take years, and the companies don't have an infinite stock of engines (with the exception of war zones, where repair facilities may have an extra engine in the corner for emergencies). I think they only barely keep ahead of the production lines.

It's not quite like a 350 small block that's made by 50 different companies.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry for the confusion. I was remarking on the most recent corruptions of the other 2 big engine makers. Defense contracting seems to breed a certain disregard for, um, thrift.

11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I like this idea.

Not to defend P&W, but at least they aren't selling the most modern engines (the PT6 dates originally from the 1950s and powered the now-retired T-34C Turbo Mentor trainer for the Navy). Besides, if the Chicoms wanted to reverse-engineer something more modern, we did sell them UH-60 Blackhawks (in the guise of civilian S-70 model) with newer General Electric T700s.

But they shouldn't have broken the law.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Draft saved Draft deleted