1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Praise the Lord and pass the 4-star linebacker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 26, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Here's a new twist, even by SEC standards. Why make an in-home visit when you can go to meeting and try to tithe your way into a top recruit? Cecil Newton only wishes he had thought of this one.

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/01/25/mark-richt-is-going-to-church-with-states-no-1-uncommitted-football-recruit/?cxntfid=blogs_recruiting

Full disclosure time. I used to cover Lowndes High many moons ago. I won't say I was close to the Clemons family (which somehow has produced football players for LHS practically since the doors opened) but I liked the kids from the family that I covered, and they had a good reputation in the community. Forced to make a guess, I would say that they're on the up-and-up here. But this still looks plain awful, and I would expect the NCAA to nail shut this loophole after this recruiting season.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

What's the loophole? Story says it counts as Richt's in-home visit. Am I missing something?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Read the second quote about Rev. Muschamp's implied tithing.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

To tithe is to give 10 percent of your salary before taxes. Nothing more, nothing less. Now that we've got that covered, carry on.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I presume it was more than a tithe. Actually, it wasn't a tithe, in the sense that Muschamp probably didn't fill out an annual pledge form for the church.

Yeah, what is the NCAA legality of this? Can a coach shower the player's church with money? Give big bucks to the Boys Club where he hangs out?

6. Although that quote raised eyebrows, I think it meant that the church was more crowded than usual because of the presence of a coach and thus, donations were up that week.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You think Muschamp gave more than $400,000 to this church? To land a four-star linebacker?

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

No, but the quote makes it sound as if the church got a slight windfall that week from Muschamp.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm only here to correct the usage of the word tithe. And to roll Tide.

Nick Saban doesn't recruit linebackers who are afraid of God, though. He recruits linebackers whom God is afraid of.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If it's not a donation to further a recruit's athletic endeavors (directly or indirectly), and the recruit does not directly benefit from the donation, it's my understanding it would pass muster so long as it wasn't intended (wink wink) to entice the recruit.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Alabama upgraded the facilities at Dr. Phillips HS prior for bowl practices in 2010 and I'm sure it had nothing to do with Bama recruiting two 5-star recruits from the school. Rules are made to be skirted.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted