1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Praise the Lord...and beat the shit out of the gay kid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by terrier, Nov 4, 2011.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Problem with turbans is you don't know whether the dude is a Muslim or a Sikh. :)

But I'm not sure Printdust has a clue about the difference between the two, other than they're, you know, brown and scary

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

[quote author=Baron Scicluna]
    I'm not using "rampant exaggeration"
    [/quote]

I get that you were exaggerating for effect in your first post. I get it. I get why you did, and what you think it accomplished, and why you think this law is a bad sign of things to come.

But, I get so tired of stupid exaggerations on threads that have anything to do with politics. Exaggeration, intellectual dishonesty and jumping to conclusions all for the sake of making a point are not the ways of good, sane debate. They don't help restore the rhetoric of common sense. So many people hate when the likes of Sarah Palin or several posters on this board play this game. Stop playing it yourself.
    [/quote]

I'd love to have an honest, sane debate. Only, as has been proven by certain members of the Republican party in the recent examples in Wisconsin and Michigan, sanity and common sense is (are?) lacking.

Intellectually, how can this amendment be defended? Here is a law designed to make life easier on people, especially kids, who have a different belief system than the majority of the population. And yet, the elected representatives who think they are representing the majority of the population are whining that they are the ones being oppressed.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's not that hard to imagine what they are doing here.

They are scared that in the current social environment, anti-bullying legislation could be used to prosecute their religious beliefs.

Is it really *that* hard to imagine someone being brought up on bullying charges for telling a friend about 1 Corinthians 6:9 while a homosexual classmate is within earshot?

I'm guessing there are people in this thread, right now, who would want to see the expression of such beliefs outlawed. I think that culture's beliefs on this subject are stupid and mindlessly outdated, and I think their persecution complex is pretty annoying, but I can understand the two enough to get why they'd write a law this way without needing to describe them as pure evil.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

No, it's not that hard to imagine such a scenario. For those of you who might need a prompt to a similar situation, read up on Keith Sampson at IUPUI.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The irony of Bachmann and other conservative politicians trying to ban Sharia law. They probably attack it because of its association with Islam, but in reality, that's what they want here, just with "Christian" substituted where necessary.

6. printdust

printdust New Member

Wow yeah man, a lot is wrong with the golden rule associated with Christianity. Or that thing called love. Right. Dang bible thumpers always looking to behead someone. And wasn't it Iran's chief poobah who spoke to an American university and told them "we don't know what this gay phenomenon is because we don't have any gay people"??

Go ahead, keep the blame on Bachmann.

Draft saved Draft deleted