1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Praise the Lord...and beat the shit out of the gay kid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by terrier, Nov 4, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Umm, no. Wow. Seriously. No. Take that one before the Supreme Court and you'd be disbarred for general ridiculousness.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I don't understand what is Christian about physically assaulting or verbally abusing a gay person.
    Is it likely to cause the gay person to reconsider their lifestyle and perhaps turn to God?
    I doubt it.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Why not? It worked for the Spaniards during the Inquisition, and considerably more divine right kings and queens.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, every time a kid's ever gotten beaten up in school, the kid doing the beating got arrested.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There should be no exemptions to this law.

I don't care if you're gay. I don't care if you're religious. It's about respecting other people's beliefs even if you don't agree with them.

And this amendment gives a group the right to not respect another group just because they have a belief system different from them.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Michigan is applying a Pandora's Box solution to a problem that does not yet exist - and may never exist. If the day comes when parents start routinely suing school districts because some kid in a classroom discussion "caused" the suicide of a gay child, then <i>maybe</i> you think about something like this section of the law to protect the schools from a bit of liability. But certainly not now.

It's sad that so many smart folks here read this and actually buy Amy Sullivan's take on it, without thinking critically about how such laws are really crafted.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

You'd damn sure get arrested if you: "find a really rich person like Henry Clay Ford, take out my frustration on him for being the only idiot owner in the NFL who is losing money by pistol-whipping him," which is an example of the levels people here are taking this exaggeration.

No, every bully doesn't get arrested. But the thread title isn't "make fun of the gay kid" or even "torture the gay kid" or "punch the gay kid", it's "beat the shit out of the gay kid", and, yes, for that, kids can get arrested.

Take note: I'm much more opposed to the stupid posts here than I am to the message behind them. Rampant exaggeration and intellectual dishonesty does no one any favors.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How about "Selective protections for intolerance"?

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

And if you beat the kid up, you're still potentially liable to be brought up on assault and battery charges.

Assault is assault. Battery is battery, no matter what that pesky First Amendment says.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Michigan laws aren't "crafted," they're handed down from "think tanks" in which very little "thinking" takes place, by people mostly incapable of doing much "thinking" in the first place.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It gives the person using them a sense of superiority. What more could you want?

12. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

This could make things interesting at my kids' old high school in metro Detroit, where whites, blacks and Arabs fight for just one reason - the other kids aren't white, black or Arab.

Yeah, let's beat the crap out of someone in the name of God or Allah or whatever. Just great. I'm so glad that my son graduated and I transferred my daughter out of there.

Also, it's William Clay Ford, not Henry Clay Ford. (Don't mean to be a smartass, but had to point it out).

Draft saved Draft deleted