1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Praise the Lord...and beat the shit out of the gay kid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by terrier, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Holy crap, people. You know what else is still illegal in Michigan? Assault, which includes "beating the shit out of" and pistol whipping and a lot of the other things proposed here.

But, don't let that get in the way of a chance to trot out groaners about conservatives and misspell "Muslim."

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

But what if you have a really sincerely held religious belief that it is your duty to smite the infidel??

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Then you'd go to jail, because smiting is probably assault.

Stop acting like no one's ever gone to jail in this country for a religious-motivated physical attack. And while we're stopping things, stop forgetting this is an exemption in a bullying bill, not an amendment to the state's constitution.

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I blame Mitch Albom's Jew-ness for making me charge him with a No. 2 pencil.

5. derwood

derwood Active Member

Strict enforcement of separation of church and state is the best public policy. I'm sure Christian parents wouldn't like it if their kids were being lectured by kids with different religious views. Keep this crap out of schools.

6. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

The provision is just to protect religious belief from charges of bullying. For example, if I warn a homosexual that his lifestyle is considered evil by God who will judge everyone after our lives are over, and the only way that we can escape God's righteous judgment is to flee to the forgiveness offered through Jesus Christ and His death and resurrection, then I can't be charged wrongly with bullying.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I disagree with this. You "warn" a person with your opinion on a situation when your opinion was not asked for. I see that as crossing a line that should not be crossed.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Perhaps prompting the need for "asshole" legislation, as opposed to "bullying" legislation.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Then you fly planes into buildings, among other righteous tactics. Beating people up is amateur fanaticism.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Yet another person who has no understanding of the 1st amendment.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's not separation of church and state. That's blatantly disregarding the child's first amendment rights.

12. derwood

derwood Active Member

Right to free speech does not indemnify a person against the consequences. Otherwise, every spy would claim that first amendment protects them against treason. Legal jeopardy is attached to free speech.

Draft saved Draft deleted