1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Praise Jeebus!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Feb 6, 2007.

1. It's very different, Meat. Nobody here anyway is associating the people who shoot down doctors in their kitchen with most of the mainline anti-abortion groups, which is what I draw anyway from the last phrase in your post. However, there is very little question that the illogical resistance to birth-control is very much a mainstream position, as is the notion that we should avoid things (like the HPV vaccine) lest it "encourage" young people from having sex. If you can find me a single anti-abortion group without a position on Plan B or the HPV vaccine -- one that is anti-abortion, period -- then have at it. To me, that' lack is prima facie evidence that their agenda goes way beyond banning abortion, and that the target case-precedent is not Roe, but Griswold, and the very concept of a constitutional right-to-privacy, especially in this regard.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Meat --

That's playing pretty fast and loose with the facts.

I cannot find any evidence of a national pro-life group that supports emergency contraception, despite FDA findings that it acts as contraception and NO evidence that it acts as an abortofacient.

Here's one example:

http://www.prolifeaction.org/faq/stand.htm#abc

I agree with you about intent.

And no, not because I say so. Because that is how they act. National pro-life groups are on the record against nearly every measure that would reduce the number of abortions performed in America. These are measures that HAVE reduced the number of abortions in other countries where they have been introduced.

There is no evidence that their stated goal of making abortion illegal would do much to prevent the practice, either.

EDIT: Fenian makes a solid point. And I think the public is wising up to the fact that it isn't about abortion for a lot of these folks. They use well-meaning people.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You guys have taken a promisingly stupid thread and made it a stupefyingly stupid thread.

Take a bow.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Awwwww, Ace. *sniff*

That's the nicest thing you've ever said to me.

No, seriously...

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I've gathered from this thread that the kid behind the counter at Walgreen's who sells JDV his Trojan Magnums is an abortionist.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What if he happens to know that the Raiderette in question is sterile?

7. dooley_womack1

Slippery slope, whatever.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Proveably sterile, demonstrably sterile.

Whatever.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not if he is selling JDV Magnums, he's not.

That'd be like trying to tie a trash bag around a toothpick.

10. dooley_womack1

Simple equation: JDV=tadpoles.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I didn't like the analogy as I was typing it because of the chances that the focus would fall on the example and not the motivation. And that's all I could come up. What I mean is that it's not particularly fair or tolerant to judge a group of people based on extreme thoughts or deeds by extreme members. There probably ARE people in the anti-abortion movement who want to see women as infant Pez dispensers and little else, but I never saw or heard anything from anyone in the movement during my time there they were thinking that way.

As for plan B and a right-to-life group's lack of opposition to it: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/01/AR2006040100005.html

It's a column, and one nearly a year old, but it points out that NRLC has no position because it doesn't know exactly what Plan B would do. A Google search indicates some of the state chapters are opposed, but nothing on NRLC's own site indicates they have a position. I also saw nothing about HPV vaccines, but they're kinda behind the times with their website -- throw a search function on there, for crying out loud!

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Also: Any product of JDV's sperm is unabortable. Get your Hoover wet-dry vacs, your coat hangers, push the lucky lady of his desire down 30 flights of stairs. All it'll* say is "abortion, whatever".

* -- the JDV fetus chooses its gender when it damn well feels like it, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted