1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Practice of Oversigning Prospects,

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dkphxf, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wish there were more like Rappoport (sp?)

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

So what happens when the appeal is denied? Will USC have to rescind the 15?

FSU signed 30 but 9 are early enrollees so the kids count towards last year's numbers.

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I believe USC will then face sanctions in those years. Rather than the 2010/2011 school year, it would be the 2011/2012 school year. It makes sense for Kiffin to load up on recruits now because he could at least have numbers and talent going into the death period.

4. mb

mb Active Member

Not when it's the Big Ten ;D

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I think you missed the point a little. I don't think the argument is that students shouldn't have to sit out a year as much as it is that coaches shouldn't be able to keep them from getting school paid for during the year they have to sit. Why shouldn't a student be allowed to accept a scholarship from a new team while sitting out, once the transfer has taken place?

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Again, if all 27 kids qualify then yes. I bet all 27 kids don't qualify.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Something to remember to bring up whenever the education is compensation argument is made. The players aren't given a college education in exchange for services; they're given one year's education. At a time.

Which leads me back to Baron's other point about unionization. With practices like oversigning getting publicity, the amount of pay the coaches are getting, the outrageous amounts of money funneled through the bowls and to their lackey administrators, the bigger and bigger TV dollars…

It's only a matter of time before the players finally understand how badly they are getting fucked and say enough is enough. There's an opportunity waiting out there for college's version of Marvin Miller.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The schools and coaches have to sign off on an athlete transferring. If they do, the athlete sits out one year. If they don't, the athlete sits out two years.

In other words, if a kid wants to transfer from Alabama to Auburn, Saban can refuse to sign the transfer letter, and make the kid sit out two years.

Most of the time, schools tell their athlete that they can transfer to where they want, as long as it isn't in their conference or a big rival, or sometimes, as long as they're not on their schedule for a certain length of time.

This, to me, is one of the hypocrisies. It gives the school power to reject where a kid wants to transfer to.

And besides, schools are already doing the chaotic jumping thing, only with coaches. If a coach wants to go from school to school, there's no penalty as long as it's in the contract. Players don't have that choice.

And yeah, players are a lot more aware of what's going on. The system is just crying out for another Marvin Miller to come along. Then the fun will really begin.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Once again the anger here - at least in the practice of oversigning - is misguided.

If you want to be pissed at someone, be pissed at the people who allow this to take place - the players who continue to flock to these SEC schools and sign up to play for cut throat assholes like Nick Saban.

If those guys started having trouble recruiting the top players, well, then maybe they wouldn't be such assholes.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This is true, to a point. Problem is, there's only so many schools to offer scholarships, which the players see as either a way out of poverty/the streets, and/or as a way to get to the NFL (no matter how difficult it is).

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yup.. Ian's good people. Knows how to right, push the buttons and get his point across without overwriting.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

The problem isn't the top players. They aren't squeezed by the oversigning. Jadeveon Clowney is not going to show up at a school and be told to greyshirt. It's the kid with a nice frame who might have a chance to develop into something who commits to a school, redshirts his freshman year and then has someone come in who plays his position and finds himself out of a scholarship. That kid has no power and no recourse.

It's the same thing anyone playing the Dynasty mode in NCAA 11 does. You sign the best recruits you can find, then keep the best 85 and cut the rest. When the players are fictional, it is a smart move. When they are 19 year old kids who counted on a scholarship to be able to pay for college, it is unethical.

Here is a really good breakdown of what is happening and how to fix it:
    http://www.ncaa.org/blog/2011/01/a-better-oversigning-rule/

Draft saved Draft deleted