1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Practice of Oversigning Prospects,

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dkphxf, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The Birmingham News' Jon Solomon provides some good numbers and context:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/01/solomon_oversigning_day_leads.html

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I would guess the anonymous sources for this story were B.J. Scott's parents or high school coach. That's usually how it works in such situations.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I bet if you got some honesty from the coaches, they would admit they use the practice more as "motivation" than anything else.

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I bet, if they're being honest, they use it more as "making your teams as talented as humanly possible" than anything else.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

USC is looking to sign 30 players today. How is it possible to sign 30 when the NCAA nailed the Trojans with sanctions taking 10 scholarships away per year for three years?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Rules don't apply to Lane Kiffin?

7. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

USC is appealing, so the sanctions aren't in play yet.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Signing Day's final count (sense a pattern):

30 -- Arkansas, South Carolina, USC
    29 -- Clemson
    28 -- SMU, Florida St.
    27 -- Illinois, Okla. St., Texas Tech, Ole Miss, Tenn

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I thought the holy and sacred Big Tweleven didn't allow oversigning.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

So LSU signed 7 over the limit meaning next year they would have room for 7 less players and could only sign 18... or they could just grayshirt, cut, or unrenew the fifth year of 7 players. Essentially, the SEC cap does nothing but encourage the coaches to enroll players early so they can continue to oversign.

And Dixiehack - the Big Ten doesn't allow oversigning. I don't think any class has ever oversigned in the Big Ten (at least in recent memory). Illinois could however, have some seniors that don't want to renew a fifth or they could have a ton of seniors leaving. Also, these kids haven't necessarily qualified yet. Of course that's bad if someone gets grayshirted or left out but 27 for 25 spots is not as bad as 32 for 28 spots even though there is really only room for 21.5 spots each year.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So 27 sigs for 25 slots isn't oversigning?

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just read this. Sorry I am so late to the party. I thought it was a very good column, but I can see a corollary to his "jersey selling" argument.

Right now, it isn't that athletes can't transfer. It's that they have to sit out a year if they transfer.

Doyel says that if selling your jersey was legal, coaches could promise recruits $$ from boosters for every jersey. Under-the-table payoffs.

It's not exactly the same thing, but if you assume all coaches are going to cheat and find a way to lure players with money, doesn't making a player sit a year after he transfers serve the same purpose? If you could just decide to leave and transfer without having to sit a year, wouldn't coaches then be trying to buy the best players all the time, to get them to jump schools? Conceivably couldn't you see a guy using up four years of eligibility at four different schools -- not because he got enticed to each place with a bigger payoff, but because he just wanted to transfer for whatever reasons?

I am not sure I necessarily feel strongly about the argument I just made. But it did pop into my head while reading that argument about the jerseys.

It's obvious to me that the system, as it is, is going to always be fatally flawed. These are kids generating a lot of income and not seeing that money. The kids know it, and the best players have to know their worth. And the schools have enough incentive to cheat to get the best players, to derive that income.

Draft saved Draft deleted