1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Practical solutions for helping the environment or doing your part

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, May 27, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I always thought residential roads with four-way stops were a waste of time/gas. If the govt made two of those stops yield signs it could save gas. Think of the millions of corners like that where people did not have to come to a complete stop. Over time it would save a ton.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Roundabouts.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Anyone should be able to buy a rain barrel for something in the neighborhood of $50-$75. This also saves you money if your water company automatically tacks on a sewer charge for all the water you draw (as mine does). Doesn't make any sense to pay a sewer charge for water that's going into the ground, does it?

4. Inky_Wretch

Check out the products available here ... http://www.aquabarrel.com/

Or you can rig it up yourself using the downspouts and a simple plastic barrel.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I didn't get much out of the tomato plants I had on my deck last year. Could be my complete lack of a green thumb. What varieties did you use, Inky? And how big were the pots?

6. Inky_Wretch

This is the tomato bush I grow ...

http://www.burpee.com/product/vegetables/tomatoes/midseason%2C+midsize+tomatoes/tomato+bush+big+boy+hybrid+-+1+pkt.+%2830+seeds%29.do?search=basic&keyword=tomato+bush&sortby=newArrivals&page=1

Put one plant each in half-whiskey barrels I get at a local hardware store. They hold two sacks of soil each.

When I transplant into the barrels, I use this stuff ... http://www.terracycle.net/tomato.htm ... and then I use it once a month after that.

7. sportschick

I'm thinking my pots weren't big enough.

Plus I'm pretty sure that plants shrivel and die when they hear I'm going to be their plant mother.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Eating less meat makes a big difference. It takes a lot more water and land to feed a meat-eater than a vegetarian. I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat meat, most days. It's easy for people who live in a wet climate to forget that water is a huge issue, but it is.

Bicycle for transportation, when possible.

Consume less, in general. Considering the usual journalist salary, that shouldn't be too much of a problem for many here.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'd sell any Walmart stock I had. Only loosers would support a non-green company like that.

10. Inky_Wretch

Ouch. Very ouch.

But that is where I buy free range, organic eggs and organic milk.

11. sportschick

Wal-Mart is making major efforts to become more green, Inky, esp. as far as its groceries go.

I get my organic milk at Target, but the most comprehensive offering of organics here is at Wal-Mart, at least until Whole Foods comes in this fall.

12. Inky_Wretch

Oh, I know all about it.

Despite having a family member high on the Wal-Mart corporate ladder, I still can't decide if the company is serious about it or doing some greenwashing.

Draft saved Draft deleted