1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Practical solutions for helping the environment or doing your part

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, May 27, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, since I quit my job, no.

Seriously, though, I think the point is, no one - except those people that live in the communes in the mountains - is a true environmentalist. So, you just have to try and do whatever you can to minimize the damage you do and to try and give back however you can.

2. true enough. at least the eventual collapse of the industry will have some positive effect.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I do both of these already. You're right. Every little bit helps.

zebracoy, those are great ideas! And I will definitely do that when I go home tonight.

I feel bad because I leave my home computer on 24/7, which seems OK because of the powersaver mode. But somehow I feel like I'm still burning energy unnecessarily, especially since both power strips remain on all the time, and my internet connection box is always running.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Great links, 'gola.

I'd add ...

http://www.grist.org/
    http://planetgreen.discovery.com/
    http://treehugger.com/
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you live in a house with a backyard and a garden, compost.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Did my mom send you my school photos again?

7. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

I freecycle perfectly good stuff that I don't use anymore, for whatever reason. So much better than putting it in the landfill.

My wife and I went down to one car a few months ago (just in time, given the direction of gas prices). I know it's not practical for everyone, but it works for us. Just takes some coordination and planning of outings. It's made us a lot more efficient in everyday tasks like shopping and makes us use our feet or bicycles for short trips, and those have their own benefits.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Somebody gave me a book called, "1,001 Ways To Go Green."

My favorite is #64.

It says: "DO NOT try every suggestion in this book all at once. You'll burn out and lapse. One at a time."

To me, that's the best tip. Don't try to be perfect, and don't be so hard on yourself.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

There was some very good stuff in those links, Inky.
    I wish I owned my own home again, because a lot of the stuff works better for people with yards.
    I do think a common misconception is if you live in an apartment, you can't do stuff like this, but the girlfriend and I plan on planting some tomatoes and peppers and herbs in planters on our balcony. I think anyone can do these kinds of things if you put your mind to it.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Some good stuff, people. Thanks.

Perhaps this thread could be stickied--sort of a running suggestion thread?

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've got a small backyard, so I do container gardening on our back deck. Last year, I had three tomato bushes (they work best for containers) and I was tomato rich all summer and into mid-September.

This year, I cut back to one tomato bush and two plants that produce cherry tomatoes for salads.

12. GoZags!!

GoZags!! Member

That is very awesome.
    I hope to do the same at my house within the next year. (Wish I'd done it already - we've had a load of rain lately).

Ditto on unplugging the appliances. I never leave the coffeepot plugged in anymore, or anything else like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted