1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PR guy excessively touches TV reporter trying to do job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, May 26, 2010.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

How the hell did that guy develop a habit of patting people on the shoulders? The only physical contact I ever have in interviews is a handshake.

2. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I'm partial to the fist-bump myself. Explode the rock!

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So what was the PR guy's inent in this incident?

I am assuming he was trying to act faux-friendly with the back-of-the-shoulder pat and trying to steer the reporter away from the woman he was trying to interview.

After that his repeated hands-on seemed like a "you can't tell me what to do" reaction -- unless there is some page in the PR handbook where invading the personal space of TV reporters is the key to doing your job.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I believe PR Douche knew the TV guy had some hard questions to ask, and clearly wanted from the start to provoke him into anything loud or physical.

Then he did, enough that he could lie and say the TV guy was disruptive so the meeting was canceled. Every bit of that was pre-planned without a doubt and the smirky, smarmy shit-sucking grin on the PR guy's face shows it. He knew exactly what he was doing, was able to cancel the meeting and then still persisted trying to get the TV guy to do something.

TV guy should have called the cops when PR Douche grabbed the camera.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

About a decade ago, Noyes was doing a live shot, KGO was involved in a labor impasse and a couple union guys showed up with their signs in the background of his shot. Noyes dropped his mike and took off after them.
    Never really liked the guy. A bit of a showboat. But anyone taking down a PR guy can't be all bad.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, at first the PR guy comes up from behind as the reporter is talking to the hospital rep. It looked like the PR guy could have been trying to get the reporter's attention and, at that point, screaming "don't touch me!" was an overreaction. By the second or third shoulder pat, though, it was obvious what was going on.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

a) to fluster and distract Noyes from what he was there to do;

b) probably to provoke Noyes into doing something actionable on camera. Although again, repeated touching after clear requests to desist almost certainly constitute a form of assault, and certainly after the camera-shoving incident, he probably could have justified a physical response as self-defense.

c) Maybe he just wanted a piece of Noyes' ass and figured repeated laying-on-of-hands was the way to convey the message.

8. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

On the right track, but I think we can skip 2 through 4.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

When an opposing coach knocks the last team of my beat out the postseason, I greet him (or her) with a seven-step soul shake.

Draft saved Draft deleted