1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PR guy excessively touches TV reporter trying to do job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, May 26, 2010.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

It may seem like an overreaction, but there's nothing worse than a guy you want nothing to do with putting his hands all over you and then refusing to stop when you ask him to not touch you.

This might be the the most clueless PR person I have seen.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Somebody touches me without invitation, especially a flouncing pantywaist like this guy:

1) I clearly ask them to desist

2) Upon the next incident, I loudly observe they have disregarded my earlier request

3) Upon the next incident, I firmly remove their hand and say "you now have disregarded three requests not to touch me"

4) Upon the next incident, I grab their hand with a bone-crunching grip around the wrist, easing up only when I hear a cracking noise

5) Upon the next incident, right cross to the jaw
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wow. What a douche.

The reporter handled it pretty well. The PR guy was trying to create a confrontation and try to get the reporter to do something to make himself look bad, and the reporter didn't take the bait.
  4. Starman

Of course, but I would bet any decent lawyer could take video footage of Doucheflower repeatedly touching the reporter's upper body despite repeated requests to desist, spin it into "reasonable concern for one's own personal safety" and get any possible assault charges tossed.
  5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Starman justice is slow in coming.
  7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Arm bar to the throat usually takes care of it...
  8. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

TV guy handled that about as well as possible with that dickhead "PR" guy seeing as how the camera was on.

Starman, four warnings? Isn't that about two too many?
  9. Starman

Well, you want to leave yourself some kind of decent chance to stay out of jail.

In that vein, after about the first warning I think I'd say, "I am going to interpret any further attempts by you to touch me as a direct threat to my physical safety, and act accordingly."
  10. Double J

Double J Active Member

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Doesn't seem like an overreaction to me at all. Seems like the reporter didn't react strongly enough, considering the PR asshole was still touching him at the end. At the very least I'd have put him in an armbar after about the sixth warning and/or the first harsh words about it.

It's too bad the reporter didn't follow through with his threat about calling the police. When he didn't, it gave PRick the green light to just keep doing what he was doing.

And PRick is far from clueless. He knew EXACTLY what he was doing. And the passive-aggressive shit would have been almost as infuriating as the touching if I were the reporter. Bastard.
  12. Starman

I believe any action of physical contact after the recipient has made clear his intention not to be touched constitutes legal assault.

While my right-cross-to-the-jaw solution would have been a lot more fun, that would probably be a more effective solution legally, since they have the whole sequence on tape.

When Lispyboy shoves the cameraperson aside, that DEFINITELY constitutes assault.
Draft saved Draft deleted