1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poz bitch-slaps Chass

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lantaur, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Shockey, let's flip the regional bias here. Let's say some should-be-retired journalist from the midwest, someone who used to be a titan in the industry, decided out of nowhere to fire some shots at New York/New Jersey athelte you'd written about extensively over the years, someone you considered a man of honor, someone who you'd seen do wonderful things for people over the years, and someone you had interviewed so many times, you maybe even thought of yourself as friendly, if not outright friends.

I'd wager you wouldn't let that kind of slander go without some kind of rebuttal, especially if you had a widely-respected and widely-read blog where you regularly wrote about yourself, your work, and your personal life. You have athletes you admire and like from your years working in your market, and you'd be working your corners too if someone was slapping them down. In fact, I've seen you do it here on SportsJournalists.com.

I imagine part of why Joe hesitated before doing what he did is this is not typically his style. He's not a hit man, or even a hit-back guy. But what is Stan Musial going to do, sit down and write a 1,500-word rebuttal to Murray Chass' lies? Musial deserved a rebuttal, and Pos stood tall for him.

I always find it a little silly when someone picks a fight, someone else responds, and the responder is called out for being thin-skinned or not just letting it go. Nonsense, I say. A man punches one of my friends in the face, or even someone I deeply admire, he better steel himself cause I'm coming across the table with my arm cocked.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Surprised that Pos did not mention that story as Miller told it to Chass. I would think most would take direct quotes from Marvin Miller as credible.
    Maybe it did not fit his narrative:

Musial, with a partner, had a restaurant (a “posh restaurant,” Miller said) in St. Louis called Stan Musial & Biggie’s. Flood and some of his teammates, also African-American and all former teammates of Musial, Miller said, made plans to attend a celebration at the restaurant. This was some time after Musial retired following the 1963 season.

“Flood organized this group of African-American players,” Miller related, “He got together a group that had known Musial as a teammate and they thought it was appropriate that they should go. As he said to me, ‘We didn’t always dress up but that night we did. We wore freshly pressed pants, shirts, ties, jackets and off we went to help celebrate with our former teammate.

“When we got to the restaurant, the maitre d’ refused to seat us,” Flood told Miller.

“He said they wanted to know why that was,” Miller continued, “and the maître d’ finally pointed around the restaurant and said, ‘Do you see any black faces here?’ Flood said he asked ‘Is this your idea?’ No, he said. The owner had given him instructions. They left.”

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Seeing as Flood has been dead for 14 years, it's kind of hard to say whether or not he'd feel comfortable with a 93-year-old Marvin Miller telling stories accurately on his behalf, especially when Miller was apparently telling them to Chass in a way that appeared differently in Flood's own autobiography.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

This made me laugh out loud, because ... well, that's essentially what I was trying to tell you.

:)

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm just glad that the topic line of this thread -- and all future ones similar to it lauding something done by Pos/Poz or The Jones or another sainted scribe -- includes enough info (the fawned-over-one's name) that I'll be able to skip it in the future.

The fanboy factor on this site is getting insufferable. Everybody needs to go cover a high school game or something and get over themselves. Or their keyboard-pounding gods. Buncha fuckin' sports journalists, is all.

6. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Feel free to skip it right now.

7. Boom_70

But how come Pos did not include that story in his article?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I approve of this message.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, I'd agree if the entire house was giving head to Posnanski, but not everyone is doing that. Some people don't like what he wrote.

But we're deep into the second page. I'd imagine somebody probably should have scolded somebody already.

The five steps of SportsJournalists.com

1. Statement
    2. Agreement
    3. Congratulation
    4. Devil's Advocacy
    5. Superior Admonishment

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

And popping popcorn, which I just did.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He provides a link to it.

12. Boom_70

Yes but centerpiece of Chass article was the story that Marvin Miller told , Not what was in Curt Floods book.

How come Pos did not try to reach out to Marvin Miller to verify his quotes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.