1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poynter sports summit questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frylock, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Frylock

Frylock Member

Thanks for the tips
    Frylock

2. fl2010

fl2010 New Member

Just to help out (I'm from that area) - the shopping/dining area you speak of is called Baywalk.There's a movie theater there too. But I think -- not positive because I just popped in last time I was there -- that the Dan Marino restaurant is no longer there. But I'd still pretty much recommend all the food there, there's a lot of things so hopefully something caters to you.

As for other things, I also recommend the Florida Aquarium, across the bay in Tampa. It's located right next to Channelside, a night hotspot with bars/restaurants/movies (there's a bowling bar called Splitsville, google it) etc. that caters to an older crowd than Baywalk.

3. vicd

vicd Active Member

Dali Museum is right across the street from Poynter.

Try Ted Peters Smoked Fish http://www.sptimes.com/News/050500/Outdoors/Ted_Peters_Famous_Smo.shtml
    Get the Mullet Platter for the true 1940's Florida Experience.

Fort DeSoto is also good for Old Florida. Plus it has one of the best beaches in the world.
    http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_Ft_DeSoto.htm

The Trop is a great place to watch a game. Unless you're into all those new Cookie Cutter "Old-Timey" stadiums. If wrought iron and brick are an essential part of the game, you are out of luck. I understand that's why Aubrey Huff signed with the Orioles.

Plus if you are a fan of the visiting team you can be the biggest jagoff in the world and no one will hastle you. Yankee and Red Sox fans have been proving this point for years.
    Buy the cheapest ticket you can get. Then sit anywhere you'd like.

4. T&C

T&C Member

If you like to read, don't miss Haslam's New and Used Books. Plenty of used and remaindered sports books and I usually find one or two I haven't come across in other stores.

5. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

You folks are ambitious. Went last year and by the time the sessions were done all I had room for was dinner a drink and bedtime. The last day breaks early, but that's when i had to split. It was great all the way around, however. Wish I could go back. Might next year.

6. In the past a Poynter namecard gets you in the Dali museum for free.

7. Springsteen is playing the day after Poynter ends in Orlando, and then on 4/21 in Tampa, for those of you who might be sticking around for a few days.

8. ouipa

ouipa Member

Stay at one of their listed hotels. I didn't last year, and I regretted it.

I stayed at a hotel about 30 minutes away, and I was the only guy there. I would have much rather stayed in a hotel where I would have been easier to network and mingle with other attendees.

Draft saved Draft deleted