1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poynter sports seminar

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jambalaya, Feb 11, 2007.

1. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Does anyone have the dope on this year's sports writing seminar at the Poynter Inst.? It's April 18-20 in St. Pete, but other than that, no info has been made available.

I'm guessing they'll have something to honor "Van the Man" from Orlando, but what else?

2. Jinga_Thomson

Jinga_Thomson Member

There's a little more info on the APSE site, apse.dallasnews.com. It appears that many folks from last year's lineup will return. The announcement said there also will be some new faces, possibly including coaches and athletes.

The deadline to apply is March 5.

3. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

I give two thumbs up to the seminar they had last year. I'd expect nothing less this time around.

OK, one and a half thumbs up. Some of the sessions didn't apply to my job but were still entertaining. Screamin' Stephen and Woody Paige were fun, but not much on substance.

Unfortunately, finances will not allow me to attend this year. The Paper picked up the entry fee, but the plane, car, hotel and food were out of pocket for me.

It was still worth it. I caught up with old friends and picked up more than a few new ideas - big and small - and utilized them in the past year.

Go, if you can.

4. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Thanks for the help. I'll check out the APSE site.

Yeah, I wanted to go last year but couldn't. Already booked the flight through Southwest, a freebie. Thanks, Gannett!

5. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Any chance I can copy and paste this and email it to my boss for the chance for an all-expenses-paid trip? :)

All seriousness, it sounds like it's a very worthy trip.

6. Looking at the list of guest editors at this seminar, some of my colleagues had a good laugh regarding a Herald alum and "expert."

Draft saved Draft deleted