1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poynter: Philly Inquirer & Daily News to reduce newsroom by 37

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gonna Buy me a Dog, Feb 15, 2012.

1. http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/163230/philly-papers-to-lose-37-positions-through-buyouts-layoffs/

Already bare bones and now this.

It's been an ugly time in Philly, with the Teamsters protesting the way management is running the paper, management spiking and deleting stories about potential buyers, drastic travel reductions, an impending newsroom merger at the new plant at 8th and Market, and now buyouts/layoffs.

Good luck to everybody in Philly.

2. This piece in the NYT nicely summarizes what's been happening in Philly

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/16/business/media/in-philadelphia-papers-editorial-independence-at-issue.html

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's a very sad situation. In my wildest dreams would I ever thought that the Inquirer and Daily News would be looking for its fifth owner in six years. If this can happen in the fourth largest market in the country....

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Philly is the 4th largest market? I find that hard to believe. (Either way, not a good situation, but thought 4th largest sounded a bit high)

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Guess I haven't been paying attention to population shifts in a while.

Would not have guessed that San Jose or Jacksonville had more people than San Francisco.

Or that Columbus was the most populous city in Ohio. By a mile. Heck, Fargo, N.D. will pass Cleveland before too long.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is one of the most maddening and addictive Sporcle quizzes out there -- name the top 50 U.S. cities by population without setting off a landmine by naming any in the 51-100 range.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/darinh/name-3-biggest-countries

7. hey kids, why don't you take it over to the who-gives-a-crap thread, mkay?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

When six hours pass and then the OP becomes the first commenter, I think the thread itself becomes a who-gives-a-crap thread. But, apologies for the threadjack.

Just one hint to all: Don't guess Pittsburgh.

9. Hey pal, don't you have a Little League game to cover for your 2,000-circulation weekly?

If you don't think a newsroom merger and layoffs in Philly is an important thread on this site that should remain unencumbered by inane interference, you're a bigger moron than I already thought you were.

Anyway, the latest from Philly: Editors met today with reporters and presented for the first time a system of shared content between the two dailies, which have always been editorially independent.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20120216_Inquirer__Daily_News__website_to_begin_combining_forces.html?cmpid=124488469

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Good luck to everyone involved. Fingers are crossed in Harrisburg.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Seems like that list of cities doesn't include suburbs (ex. Dallas Metroplex has to be higher), but either way Philly is prob in top 10ish.

Anyway, hard to imagine them eventually keeping beat writers for both papers in the long run. Some bad days ahead with buyouts and layoffs.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Even though the Inky and DN aren't what they were (and again, what paper is?) they're still good reads. Hell, you can be well-read in Philly between Philly's papers and all the New York papers that sell there.

It's just too bad each slash of the axe cuts off more and more of the body.

Draft saved Draft deleted