1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Powerful Globe story on Jerry Remy's son

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Violence against women is unfortunately a widespread crime in our society, like drunk driving is. This makes it much more likely that some offenders are going to slip through the criminal justice net because the system just can't process all the cases it gets. Money and influence help that process greatly, of course, but I'll bet there are poor and obscure equivalents to Jared Remy in Massachusetts, all too many in fact.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

Jared is a monster.

But I'd love to hear from other parents who have kids that turned out badly.

Are you guys really ripping the parents for choosing to try and keep their kid out of prison?

Name a parent who wouldn't do the same for their kid, by doing the minimum of paying money he could easily afford.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The first time, or perhaps the second, yes, a parent tries their best. After that, you tell your kid that if they fuck up, they're on their own

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Jerry Remy was an enabler. Just like Joe Paterno was an enabler. Neither did anything illegal, but rather immoral. What Paterno did is far worse because instead of protecting his child, he was protecting a program. But both men enabled crimes to be committed.

I'll have a tough time listening to Red Sox games this summer knowing that this man, through his money and influence, allowed a troubled man to commit murder.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

Point well taken. I guess I'd only add that it's our system that's fucked. Like Michael Gee said, there at probably lots of kids behind bars after one or two offenses because daddy was a regular guy, not rich. The system is set up that a good criminal defense lawyer can negate even the best prosecutors; that's why good lawyers quit the DA and go private. You're innocent until proven guilty and if dad has enough money to make sure you're never proven guilty dad's gonna pay.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. This....

This has NOTHING to do with being the son of a Red Sox player. His parents were rich and could afford a good lawyer who knows the system. Period.

As noted by Webster, this system is overrun and the more money you have the better off you are. And yeah, I think there's a lot of fault with the parents, but as leo1 noted, (anyone with kids) can't blame them for providing their son the best defense they can.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My wife and I have decided not to have any more play dates with a family we have been friends with for years. I have seen their child punch another kid in the back just for the heck of it, drop his pants for other kids and show them his penis and butt and our daughter had her finger shut in the door while they were playing together. A couple of weeks ago he hit/pushed/kicked her on the bus. She was bending over to pick up something as they were exiting and he hit her back/ butt or something like that. Lil 93 told the bus driver and he told the principal who gave the boy a referral and a one-day bus suspension. Referrals in elementary school are a big deal and not given out very often.

The family just kept the boy home from school, but I don't think they realized the bus suspension was waiting for him the first day back. We have said that the boy does get consequences at home. He does something bad, but they won't follow through. Their boy has already been in the principals office for an ongoing problem with another boy. After the referral, the mother Facebook posts photos of him running around playing lacrosse.

We can see where this road is leading with him, so we told the family we are not comfortable with play dates anymore. Of course, they cannot keep a sitter; all of our sitters have sat for them and they refuse to go back.

This is point where Remy probably goes wrong. I doubt this kid woke up when he was 15 and decided to fuck around. It starts young and snowballs.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't even know where it starts with someone who goes that bad. But did I see the same judge let this cretin off multiple times?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That kid is going to grow up to kill a referee who deserves to be killed.

11. 93Devil

Or an internet troll.

12. 93Devil

And I never said he deserved to be killed.

Funny, for a "journalist," you have trouble with facts.

Draft saved Draft deleted