1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Powerful Globe story on Jerry Remy's son

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Mar 23, 2014.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/03/22/remy/xFRaOQqrnZ1S1pfLa2eKgK/story.html

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That is a horrifying read, and I would love to know what in the hell Jerry and Phoebe Remy were thinking by paying for the big-time lawyer and making excuses for that psycho for the last 15 years.

The fact that he could walk out of court so many times with no jail time or other punishment deserves an investigation.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Very sad to read. Why the hell didn't anybody buy a gun and shoot the bastard?

4. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

+1. But I will say parents will always think the best of their children. Or so I'm told.

5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Jerry Remy has blood on his hands in this case. I said it then after reading just half of that, I don't waver in my conviction. I only wonder how much he paid the judge(s) in the previous cases

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Seems like the criminal justice process failed more than Jerry Remy. The son
    would have had an attorney one way or another. Hell I just read that it cost the
    state 3 million for Whitey Bolger's attorney.

7. LongTimeListener

He wouldn't have had such a good lawyer. And he might have realized there are consequences to his actions. They also used their money to bully the mother of the first child regarding custody for many years. And they actively discouraged both mothers and other women from pursuing legal channels.

Honestly, based on the behavior and on the strong connection with family history in most abuse cases, it would not surprise me to learn that Phoebe Remy dealt with some abuse herself. And I am sure Jared will make some kind of claim during sentencing.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

When all three kids have issues and arrests, you have to wonder about the parenting.

9. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

Powerful and sad read. This is what gets me:

It's too bad Dominick Dunne passed away or the story given the players and background would be perfect for "Power, Privilege, and Justice." Shouldn't be long before the story makes it on Investigation Discovery. Hell, it belongs there.

10. LongTimeListener

Interesting item on Media Nation blog (Dan Kennedy) noting that Remy missed the two spring games this weekend -- quite obviously because of this story -- and wondering if this is the end of his broadcasting career. (The team announced very innocently Friday that Remy would miss the games but return for the regular season.)

I know I would have a very difficult time listening to a guy whose only response over the last 15 years has been to keep his son out of jail and out of trouble no matter what.

http://dankennedy.net/2014/03/23/is-jerry-remys-broadcasting-career-finally-over/

11. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

The Boston Globe also ran a statement from the Jerry Remy that begins:

"Obviously, no one from my family can engage in a public dialogue about these specific accusations and stories during a criminal investigation. But, what I can say is that some of the allegations offered by sources are blatantly false."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/03/22/statement-from-remy-family/5lpNjpNYn60Qv1UKf2uzIO/story.html

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Remy's are the Kennedy's on steroids.

Draft saved Draft deleted