1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

POW speaks out against McCain

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, May 23, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Damn.. then we're doomed. He will be the type of person more people will want to have a beer with than Obama and that quality is what helped carry Bush (and Clinton) to their victories.

2. So basically, this guy's a liberal.

That's OK. Not every military veteran thinks the same way.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The column was actually pretty darned boring. And it seemed poorly written for someone with a phd. I guess I was expecting more out of it when I read he went to the academy and now holds a phd.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The valid points he tried to make simply got lost in his whining. "But I was a POW too!!!"

6. Boom_70

Not only was McCain a party animal - he found a way to support his habit by marrying the daughter of a Budweiser distributer- The true american dream-

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I remember an old joke about the perfect wife. A deaf, dumb, blonde nympomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Now that I'm older, it's not as funny as it used to be.

8. Boom_70

Much like Admiral Stockdale

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It'd be a pretty damn boring message board if only people who agreed with everything that was written posted in response. I have nothing against EStreetJoe. He said it was interesting. I read what he posted and said it wasn't interesting.

And in all seriousness -- posting contrary opinions on SportsJournalists.com (or even assenting opinions) has made me more likely to speak up in real life. If I'm afraid of being shouted down on a message board, how will I ever speak up for or against something in person? When I do post something contrary, I try not to be personally insulting (unless I've been insulted, then I let them have it back). I try to think, have a point, and write something worth reading, even if it's only a stupid one-liner that I think is witty.

None of that applies when I'm drunk, but it's too early for that.

As for the rest of the stuff that EStreetJoe posted, I got the point after "I furthermore believe that having been a POW is no special qualification for being President of the United States." Ther rest of it reads like a high-school essay cobbled together from various news reports and entitled, "Why John McCain shouldn't be president". If it weren't written by a "friend", no one would care.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm not telling you NOT to post on this board. But it's a bit spnited-ish. I intensely dislike American Idol but what sense, would value would it add for me to post on an American Idol thread that I hate that show.

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I'm for Obama, but I have little use for this stuff.
    We went through this with Kerry four years ago. It sucked then and it sucks now. So you served with him and you don't want him to be president, mostly because he believes in different things than you believe in. Fine. Now go the fuck away.
    (Of course, if the right had been honest about what was happening four years ago, Bush wouldn't be president now, but as my mom used to say, just because they did it doesn't mean YOU have to do it.)

Draft saved Draft deleted