1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

POW speaks out against McCain

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, May 23, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

An interesting read, I'll just quote the first part, but its well worth reading the entire thing

http://www.military.com/opinion/0,15202,164859_1,00.html

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It that's interesting, I'm Reese Witherspoon.

3. EStreetJoe

Reese - Did you read the whole thing or just the segment I posted?

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I furthermore believe that having been a POW is no special qualification for being President of the United States. The two jobs are not the same, and POW experience is not, in my opinion, something I would look for in a presidential candidate.

At least somebody said it.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wow...

While this guy certainly makes some valid complaints about McCain's age, potential health issues and political stances, a lot of what he says about the military and POW aspects, and the Academy experience, sound a lot like sour grapes.

I don't like McCain, but I haven't exactly heard him heralding himself as the ONLY POW, the most decorated or any of the rest. This guy seems to be beefing that McCain's POW experience is serving as political capital (which it is, in some respects) but he seems to take umbrage because McCain wasn't the only one.

Uhm, dude, as it turns out, McCain IS the only one of those 600 who is actually running for president, you know.

His misbehavior as a middie? Good god...we forgave drug-using and layabout presidents for their youthful behavior. Why is McCain being held accountable for something that happened a LONG time ago? What, is he going to be a wild and crazy party guy in the White House because he was nearly 50 years ago?

If you have a beef with McCain's policies, beliefs, etc., then fine. But this guy sounds like a bitter detractor, nothing more.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No new ground there- all covered in The Nightengales Song.

McCain might be the real Senator Blutrasky. He was fighter pilot - its in their make up to drink and have fun.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The segment you posted sufficiently bored me so as to be uninterested in reading anymore.

If there's something better, by all means, let us know what it is.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

There was indeed more in there. But if you're bored by the material presented, then why bother even posting on it? Just curious.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Aren't all military academy graduates wild as fuck? 95% of those I know -- and I know quite a few -- are. I've babysat more than my share at bars since their graduation.

Dude's entitled to his opinion, but I haven't read or heard anywhere that McCain has said that his time as a POW is a qualifier for presidency.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

McCain is proud and unapoligetic of his party animal status at the academy.

11. EStreetJoe

Ok Reese... maybe this segment of the article will interest you a little more:

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

And his partying in college is no more of a disqualifier than his POW status is a qualifier.

Draft saved Draft deleted