1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poverty in North Dakota oil patch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

What good does it do to have and abundance gasoline selling for $10-15 a gallon if the majority of the population cannot afford it? Or cases of water for $30?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There might not be any gas or water otherwise.

And, most people can afford one gallon of gas in an emergency or one case of water.

For others, the mega-Churches in Houston did an incredible job after Allison -- much better than Lee Brown's city government.

I'm sure they sprang into action after Rita & Ike too

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

A gallon of gas will not get most people in the area surrounding Houston to a mega church. I hear what you are saying and I see your evidence. I am just telling you that in my opinion, it is not practical. Prices were gouged during Ike. And there was a severe shortage of supplies.

Basically you are saying that companies will only bring in enough supplies to really help in an emergency situation quickly if they get to charge 10 times as much as normal. But they won't bring them in because people really, really need them. Maybe that sums up some of the problems in this country.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

YF citing a government study? The apocalypse is upon us.

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

From the Texas Attorney General's site in 2008 right after Ike:
    "Under Texas law, vendors are prohibited from charging exorbitant prices for necessities such as groceries, clothing, medical supplies, lodging, repair work and fuel during and after declared disasters."

There were prosecutions for gouging, not many, but some. Hotels were among the most visible offenders that got nabbed.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Why does Rick Perry hate America?

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If stores can jack up prices, police officers and firemen should demand more money when they go out on big calls. Doctors should increase their prices when someone has emergency surgery and refuse to perform it unless they get paid in advance. Oh, the beauties of the free market.

Draft saved Draft deleted