1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poverty in North Dakota oil patch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

No, my friend YOU are false. These items do NOT get shipped in quickly in an emergency situation. These items do run out for more than a day. Maybe not where you are, but they have here.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Are you in Houston?

I was there for Alison. Nothing ran out for more than a day.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How quickly was New Orleans resupplied after Katrina?

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Yes, I am in Houston. And I cannot recall how long supplies were out for Allison, but for Ike, it was certainly for more than a day. Much more.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Oh, wait! During Ike, supplies Did get here within one day. Two of the stores in a town of over 50K people each got one pallet of bottled water that they sold for $40 - $50 each. My bad.

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Again, supply and demand B.S. is not allowed in emergency situations. It's in our federal laws. This is why gouging is not allowed and places get fined after the fact if it can be proven. Tons of gas stations got fined for it after 9/11.

7. YankeeFan

I'd really invite some of you to simply use Google. Memories can be faulty.

There's so much more out there.

Even the law accounts for an increase of the wholesale cost:

So, those expensive cases of bottled water were likely well within the law, and were only available because of the increased price.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

The information you post does nothing to improve what you call my faulty memory of a hurricane that you also experienced. The aftermath of Rita and Ike took care of putting memories of my personal experience of previous hurricanes out of my mind. I do not apologize for the fact there there were other emergency situations that trump Allison in my mental history.

You can post all the supporting documents you want about it. Supplies did not arrive within a day in my area after Ike. And when they did, without or without price gouging, there was certainly not enough to go around. Came nowhere close to meeting the demand.

I am glad that you had all the supplies that you needed. But I beg to differ when you say that people got needed supplies within a day. That was not the widespread reality that you make it seem.

9. YankeeFan

I moved to Florida before Rita & Ike.

I can just tell you that any shortages you dealt with would have been worse if price caps were in place.

There is enough scientific research to bare this out.

10. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Because it helps when water, plywood, batteries, gas and propane makes it in and only a handful of the population can afford to buy it.

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Good advice.

I think we can safely infer that their version of free enterprise includes price gouging.

12. YankeeFan

Click the link.

It cites an FTC study.

Or present your own evidence to the contrary.

Scientific studies back me up. We're not supposed to argue with science.

Draft saved Draft deleted