1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pound agrees to meet BALCO boss

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The problem I have with Pound is that he begins with the assumption that you are guilty, attempts to build circumstantial evidence and then says, prove it wrong. The other problem with the guy is that he loves to go after Americans, but when a Canadian was caught, Pound started making excuses for the guy. It showed, to me, that he really isn’t too concerned about the issue of steroids.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So, if you know little about the NHL or its players why you you be either surprised or not surprised about the possible "infestation" of PED's in hockey?

His comments about 30% of players being dirty were pulled directly out of his ass. He had no proof then and he has no proof now--as was routinely pointed out.

Dick Pound's comments on hockey alone qualify him as a fraud and a charlatan.

This is a guy whose only goal in life is to get as much media face time as possible.

Like I said, he's like the columnist who throws shit against the wall hoping some of it will stick .

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My addition to any Dick Pound conversation is that I caddied for him once and that he was a lousy tipper and generally miserable golfer in play and temperament. Like they say, you learn a lot watching a guy play golf...

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Dick Pound, financial guy, was placed in charge of an Olympics off-shoot called WADA and he did everything in his power to grow that organization's business and make it seem important. His objective quickly became the control all of the drug-testing in sports, worldwide. So he said and did anything expedient to that objective. Truth, law and people's reputations were merely obstacles in that pursuit.

5. No, but give him an armband and he's close enough for government work.
    As to your position on how secure civil liberties are today, well, I'll assume you've been asleep for 10 years or so and leave it at that, except to say that, while they might be more secure than they were in 1907, they're a helluva lot more tenuous than they were in 1977, and the 'war on drugs" -- of which Pound's latest crusade is merely the most recent iteration -- is a big part of the reason why they're not.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Because of what I have seen in other sports in which speed and strength are attributes that make players' chances of securing roster spots more likely.

Draft saved Draft deleted