1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pound agrees to meet BALCO boss

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, Nov 20, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hey, we give you good ones, too.

Howie Mandel, for example.

2. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Criticize his style all you want. But the guy has been proven correct over and over again. Drugs are prevalent in sports. He knew it earlier than many. And he feels strongly about it. He's got the truth about doping and its prevalence on his side. What he doesn't have is the video tape many critical of him expect of the athletes actually being caught in the act.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

He throws shit at the wall. He's wrong more than he's right.

His comments about NHL players were laughable.

He routinely makes comments such as this:

"We deal with Interpol, and they tell us they believe the illegal sport drug market exceeds the market for marijuana, cocaine and heroin combined," he said. "Everyone out there is somebody's kid."

The guy's a blight and whatever good he may do, he destroys it with nonsense like the above .

The guy is an utter fraud and should be horsewhipped for some of his crap.

5. He's also not a big fan of the Bill of Rights.
    Authoritarian yahoo.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That's just something cheaters and transgressors hide behind.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Do you still have those? I thought Fredo put them on hold

8. The Big Ragu

Yada yada yada. Yes, Dick Pound has single-handedly destroyed the United States' Bill of Rights by being outspoken about athletes who have used performance-enhancing drugs.

Sorry for the interlude.

Continue with the hyperbole.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ragu, you obviously haven't followed Dick Pound's career very closely or seen/ heard his antics on TV/radio. He's a regular contributor to the shows up here and he routinely has his ass handed to him on topics that he has no clue about nor any evidence about...cf previous comment about the NHL.

The guy is a charlatan and a fraud. The Bill of Rights stuff is a bonus.

10. Ragu --
    Every time -- EVERY TIME -- an authority figure appears on TV and is openly contemptuous of civil liberties, those liberties are put in further peril. Jesus, look around you. And in this one, for what? The essential integrity of the baseball record book? Honest track meets.
    Use sarcasm when you get better at it, OK?

11. The Big Ragu

JR, Yes, I obviously had no idea who Dick Pound was until you enlightened me about him being a charlatan. Thank you for the education.

12. The Big Ragu

FB, I am a civil libertarian. And I thought you believed I am. And as someone who takes the Bill of Rights VERY seriously, I'm proud to report that our Bill of Rights is more secure today than it was 100 years ago when many of the rights you'd love to read into it weren't even fantasies. Oh wait, that may be a bit too close to sarcasm, and I suck at sarcasm. So let's just say that you and I disagree about the impact the man has had. You see him as a Nazi who is trampling on people's rights. I see no one's civil liberties having been violated (by what, drug testing? By his opinions that use is prevalent--something that has become more and more clear as time has gone on?), but I do see a guy who was yelling into the wind about an issue that everyone had their heads buried in the sand about. It's kind of telling that most attacks on the guy ignore the substance of what he has had to say about use and how rampant it has been, and instead demonize him personally because he is brash and rubs people wrong with his style.

And JR, I have avoided about commenting about his NHL remarks, because it is the pro sports league I know nothing about. I just can't comment about the NHL. Never been around it. Know little about its players. But if it is like every other pro sports league, I would not be surprised if evidence surfaced that PEDs have infested the league. I am not making accusations, because I have no proof. I'm just saying that Dick Pound has been out there for 10 years saying there is a problem in sports in general. At first no one listened. Now he is looking more and more like he was right every day.

Draft saved Draft deleted