1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

potty mouth Blyleven assaults virgin ears of audience.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One vulgarity is an accident.

Two vulgarities is emphasis.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Best Goddamn Motherfucking Sports Show, Period, Bitch."

Then, he'd run afoul of truth-in-advertising laws. ::)

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Wrongo, chuckles. I'm all-Canadian and all-American. That means I'm in the 200th percentile as far as being a man is concerned. ;D

4. The Commish

The Commish Guest

The f-bombs have made it to

5. The Commish

The Commish Guest

Three more games off for Bert...

Twins broadcaster Blyleven suspended for 3 more telecasts
    MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Minnesota Twins commentator Bert Blyleven was suspended for an additional three telecasts for using two profanities during a live pregame segment he thought was being taped.
    The team, Fox Sports Net North and WFTC Television said in a joint statement Wednesday that Blyleven will not work the Sept. 9 and Sept. 10 games against the Detroit Tigers and the Sept. 17 game at Cleveland. He will return for the Sept. 11 game against the Oakland Athletics.
    Blyleven also was suspended for the Sept. 5 and Sept. 6 games at Tampa Bay.
    The former Twins right-hander uttered the words after slipping up during Sunday's segment, which he thought was being taped rather than broadcast live. He apologized to viewers during the first inning of the Twins-Yankees game in New York on Sunday.
    "We all make mistakes," said Mike Diamond, FSN North vice president and general manager. "Bert would never do this intentionally. Having said that, there are consequences for our actions, and we feel this is an appropriate consequence."
    Blyleven again apologized.
    "I want to make sure that everyone knows that I fully understand and accept this suspension and am very much looking forward to getting back in the booth to concentrate on the team's late season success."

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I finally got around to watching the video and that is some excellent stuff.
    Part of me feels it is no big deal because he thought it was being taped, but part of me says that if you are ever on doing TV stuff you should never assume anything. For that matter you should never assume anything no matter what form of journalism you are in. I got burned in college as the SE for doing a dummy of a page that included "Photo by some bastard" with a cutline that read "Some dumb soccer picture." Of course because of some production issues, that version of the paper ran. Since I went to a small private Christian college I got fired and learned my lesson to not be a dumbass in the future.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Didn't some weather forecaster in North Carolina get fired recently for basically doing the same thing? I think we had a thread on it, but I can't find it.

I did a college radio show a few years back. I figured it out pretty quick. Sometimes I had to work and couldn't stay for the whole show, but I went in and recorded a couple bits beforehand. The host edited them and then used them. I called them "Sports Sermons" where I tried to come up with about 60 seconds of something witty about the world of sports. Once when we were recording and I messed up while reading, but I just paused and remembered he could edit out any silence or screwed up words. So I just paused for a couple seconds, and picked right up where I screwed up and finished. I listened to it later, and it sounded flawless.

Blyleven's a moron.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Bert likes to fart. On command. He thinks it's funny.

He's the only one.

Draft saved Draft deleted