1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Potential new job

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Madhavok, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

For the past five years I haven't had what some would say a 'real job' or what I like to call them, 'career-oriented' jobs and honestly I've been OK with that. I shuffle between my winter job of being a terrain park supervisor at a big corporate mountain in CO and recently at the local golf course as a bag boy (amazing tips) in the summer.

A few weeks ago I was notified about a job at the big corporate mountain in the marketing department. While I have no experience whatsoever in this field besides marketing the parks on my own (facebook, twitter) and helping with organizing events and stuff of that nature, I was mildly surprised of their interest. I take that back - the department used four of my ideas last season when I was invited to their meetings.

Anyway, finally got the offer the other day and the pay is terrible in my opinion. Not only would it be a pay cut, but it would be salary (ok for the slow months) and only 10-month. Which isn't terrible. Leaves me more time to travel. The biggest factor is pay. That is the end all and I know there is more to a job than money, but I'm not in the business of making sideways or for that matter, moving backwards. Dew Tour is upon us and this where I love being hourly as I basically work two weeks straight with a week of doubles.

I'm not sure what to do and was wondering if anyone else has been in this position? I could take it, be miserable working inside as a desk jockey, miss some pay, but at the same time get some valuable experience and see where I stand.

2. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Sounds like you already made your decision.

3. Madhavok

After reading my post, yeah it does seem like that. Frick.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Now that they've made an offer, have you told them what you want in terms of salary? There might be some room for negotiation.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Just remember that, as an employee, you are a valuable commodity. Your current work situation places your value as $XX,000 during the summer and $XX,000 during the winter. It is up to the mountain, which it sounds like recruited YOU, to make it worth your while to change your current work situation and come work for them. To do so, they MUST give you a commensurate salary, or at least the opportunity to advance within the company. If they can't offer you that, there's no reason to join them.

You have an established value right now and there is no reason to offer your services to the mountain at a discounted rate, unless you feel strongly you would be better off working for less pay (maybe better hours, conditions, benefits, etc).

6. Madhavok

Da Man - Yes. I emailed them and in a professional manner that the pay offered was nowhere near the ballpark of what I thought it would be. I gave them a counter offer in which they said they could not match and there was no room to negotiate pay. She then emailed me again today just to inform the position does accrue PTO and sick time (which I already have).

Also of note: both jobs are within the same company. I also feel no one would even accept the job for the pay being offered. I'd be giving up my passion of being on snow and building these parks to being behind a desk and working with corporate.

I'm 50-50. Blah

Thank you, Big Pern for that perspective.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

An old guy's perspective. It would be admirable if you took the pay cut to take a position that you felt had long term potential and that put you on the career path that you wanted. That's a short term sacrifice for a long term gain.

Does not sound like that here.

Take it from a guy who went through it, a pay cut is very hard to make up. It will nag at you.

You've got a nice thing going now, if there are not long term benefits that will come to fruition, I'd say stick to your first instinct.

Oh and forget about putting yourself down for not being on a "regular" track job. This is the new reality. You're doing well, keep it up. My parents were lifelong employees who ended up with great pensions (70's now) and I thought that would be there for me, I was wrong. But that's okay, I do not depend on anyone but myself and my clients.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Can you offer to do the job on a consulting basis with base-level retainer and an hourly rate? Might as well see if you can do the work on your own terms.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Keep trying to get them to come up on salary.

It's pretty rare that someone makes an actual job offer, and can't come up at least a little.

If they offered you the job, it's because they want you. And, it's based on the fact that they already know you. That's a pretty big compliment, especially since you don't have marketing experience.

At a decent salary, this could be a good job. Going on the assumption that you're smart, it could put you on a career path, in a field you already like.

When I worked in marketing at the airline, we did a lot of co-op marketing with ski resorts. There are some good jobs in that field.

And, it's unlikely you'd be solely stuck behind a desk. I'd have to imaging that some part of the job would include working with marketing partners. Doing events. Showing off the mountain.

Push 'em. If you're willing to turn down the job, you are already in a position if strength. being able to say no is the best leverage.

Keep talking to them, and remind them why they want you on the team in the first place.

Good luck.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Not to discount the point about the importance of salary and the fact that you may have to work inside more than you might prefer, but I'm struggling to see why you would necessarily "be miserable."

This is a place and people with whom you're familiar, and, obviously, are comfortable and happy to some extent. And they have already complimented you not only by making you an offer, as YF said, but also by using four of your ideas last season already.

Do you know the value of that? It means that these people are watching and listening to you...that you have a chance to influence people and make a real impact. Do you realize the value of that, and the implied acknowledgement of that?

It only adds to your position of strength, in a very tangible way.

This may, in fact, not be the job for you. I don't know. I just want to make sure and hope that you will appreciate this aspect of things.

11. Madhavok

Very true.

I think I'm going to take the job. Actually, I am going to take the job. Was just hoping for a bit more wiggle room on salary, but they haven't gotten back to me about another increase after declining my initial offer. Experience in this field and ultimately in the longrun will benefit me. Thanks to all who chimed in on this topic.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You're making the right decision. Good luck.

Let us know how it goes.

Draft saved Draft deleted