1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Potential employers asking to see W2s

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, May 3, 2012.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Those children have options, they didn't need to apply for the job if they didn't want it.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Or, unless you think that corporate America can do whatever they want, you make the request for this information illegal

It's none of their fucking business.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You know, it's possible to have an opinion that falls somewhere between "Every jackassy thing an employer might do should be illegal" and "Child labor should be decided by the market."

Crazy thought, I know.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If only there were some kind of organization that helped workers fight unfair practices like this, perhaps by gathering them in a group in order to negotiate together rather than alone.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Communist bastard. :)

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A. When you buy a car, you want to know---and can find out---what the dealer paid for the car so that you can negotiate the lowest price possible (and thereby seeing to it that the salesman receives the lowest pay possible for his work).

B. When an employer hires someone, he may want to know what the potential employee has been paid before, so that he can negotiate the lowest salary possible.

The only difference between A and B is who's on the short end. If you're not on the short end, you're smart. If you are on the short end, THEY are evil.

Because it's all about MEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

With all the word processing/photoshop stuff available, fuck, just name the salary. What are they going to do, check with the IRS?

They want last year's tax return? Give me about five minutes with Turbo Tax.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Car salesmen get the same commission on a new car regardless. I did that job for a while. Where they make nice money is on the sales of used cars. And they'll never show you what they really own used cars for.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

With that idea, you're now a job creator. I'd hurry and register the LLC.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe you did. Crazy to think that most do, however. According to my Lexus salesman tennis buddy, he gets a percentage of the profit (over invoice) on every sale. He sells a car for $200 over invoice, he makes $50. He sells it for $2,000 over invoice, he makes $500. More profit = more commission. Simple. He also can get bonuses (called "spiffs", I believe) for meeting sales quotas or meeting profit goals (such as selling a car for $X,XXX over the invoice cost), selling profit-making options (such as paint or fabric protection, alarms, extended warranties, etc.) and so on.

But the point remains. When we part with our money, we want to part with as little of it as possible and care nothing about the working person/people on the other end.

Just like an employer. We are much more alike than we like to believe.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Which is why large scale buyers and large scale sellers both benefit from fleet sales. Prices are lower, and sellers are guaranteed their cars won't sit on lots unsold.

Amazing how everyone can benefit, even in a free market, with just a tiny amount of empathy for the other party; and with the strength of large numbers in the negotiation.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This is the argument the cons use when they start to push their plans to unconditionally outlaw all unions in the U.S., a concept they are very delicately introducing into the debate.

It's their ultimate goal.

Draft saved Draft deleted