1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Potential employers asking to see W2s

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, May 3, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

More of the job-killing guvvmint regulations from which The Job Creators must be set free.

Along with those silly minimum-wage laws and OSHA regulations.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

You have absolute privacy in this matter, in that you absolutely do not have to apply for the job.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Someone remind me again that one-on-"one" compensation negotiations are totally fair.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

you honestly believe child labor really isn't that bad of a thing, don't you?

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

So long as you KNOW you're being reasonable, given the position at stake:

"Here's the number. I won't do this job for less."

typically does wonders, if those doing the hiring are serious.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You're not legally obliged to do it. But they aren't legally obliged to consider you or hire you.

And I agree with Ben. If they have a drone policy that has no flexibility, and you don't want to share (and I wouldn't, but out of principal -- my private finances, or past earnings, have no bearing on any work someone might hire me for), then you should walk away from them.

But first I'd try a polite, "I am not going to give you that. Here is my number for the job we are talking about. What were you thinking?"

I don't like ultimatums, which was more like what Ben suggested.

My tact allows you to put your high number out there, knowing they may come back lower -- if they want you.

In almost any negotiation, you get one chance. Occasionally it is smart to set your price and say "take it or leave it," but a surprising number of people don't negotiate that way -- yet, still have more flexibility than people realize.

You have to try to be attuned to that, and if necessary, set your price a bit high, knowing they will come back lower, and then when you meet in the middle you will come closer to what you really had in mind. Of course, you can't set it so high that you price yourself out before there is even a negotiation.

Negotiations are tough. But my way of dealing with them is to never want something so bad that I can't say no (for example, my tax returns would be a deal breaker.), try to get an idea of the leverage I really have, treat it like it is business and not personal, and know I have to have a walk away point because my leverage isn't enough to move them to where I need them to be for my needs.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If they want a W-2, can I have last year's compensation report? If they want to know what I made, shouldn't I be able to know what they paid everyone else?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's a REALLY valid point.

Once you are ready to walk away. ... As I said, "I'd first try to politely suggest your number and ask them what they have in mind."

If they bring it back to your W-2, again, politely -- and even lightheartedly -- tell them you are not going to do that, any more than you'd have thought it appropriate to suggest they share the salaries of everyone in the organization with you before you considering an offer from them.

Just be prepared for it to get you nowhere. Your phone calls are probably not going to get returned, and you're VERY likely not getting that job. You need to know your leverage.

But that is about the best attempt I think you can make to deal with that situation.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Tend not to look to bust balls in negotiations, but when the employer (and I've been there) comes out playing bare-knuckle hardball, the prospective employee knows the precise degree of lowball that's already been placed on the table, and can either knuckle under or draw a line in the sand.

Don't underestimate the effectiveness of bullying a bully. The darlings aren't used to that treatment.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . and it does help if you're not competing with thousands . . . and you have multiple Unique Selling Propositions working in your favor.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

In the end, it comes back to who needs whom more. If you need the job more than they need you, then they have the upper hand. If they need you more than you need them, you can and should and have to use that.

But if you're one of those who feels that every employee should negotiate individually, and that that's an even fight, then the request to see the compensation report should be perfectly reasonable. Of course, there's not a company in creation that'll let you do that. And that's the point.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Agree completely. I think it's silly that they would ask for copies of W-2s, but can understand why some would do that: To get the upper hand in negotiating, to see if you're being honest about your salary history, and mostly because they can. I've always believed that a true, honest interview process is about the employer selling itself to the individual as much as the other way around.

I understand and salute those who would tell the employer to suck a bag of dicks when asked for them (or Facebook passwords, etc.), but I also can understand why some would turn that information over freely because they need the job.

When I was growing up in the late 1970s, my father was one who at the drop of a hat would tell an interviewer/employer to get bent if he thought his rights were being trampled. He burned enough bridges and the economy was so bad, he couldn't get ANY job, and he had to borrow money from every relative and friend he could find to make mortgage payments, put barely-edible food on the table, keep us dressed in second-hand, ill-fitting clothes that made us the joke of the school, etc. I appreciate him teaching me to "stand up to the man," but part of me will always hate him for what he put us through and for deciding that providing for his family was not a priority.

I've never been in this position and hope I never am, but if I find myself unemployed and it comes down to providing copies of W-2s or going home and telling my kids that we may not have a place to live in a month, I know which direction I'll go.

Draft saved Draft deleted