1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Potential employers asking to see W2s

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, May 3, 2012.

1. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

Exactly.

Any company worth a damn (and many that aren't) will determine what a particular position is worth to them and assign a salary range, or something approximating one, to that position. The skills and experience that the prospective hire has will determine whether the offer trends toward the higher or lower end of that range. What is the value of the job you want done, and how much of a complete skillset does this person bring with him/her to accomplish that job? What that person made somewhere else shouldn't be relevant to the decision. Often they weren't even doing the same job.

I expect to be asked in an interview what my salary expecations are for the position. I would not expect to be asked what I make at my current position. Entirely different question that does not answer what I can or cannot do for you.

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Fine:

All of you are 100% correct. Do not ever give up that kind of information if requested.

I will choose to behave differently. If that makes me an evil person in your eyes, I shall have to find a way to live with that.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Torturing applicants is much more effective to get the info you want.

4. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Wait, wait!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't hand over that, unless under extraordinary circumstances, because you are setting the tone for your relationship with your employer right off the bat, and you are giving them an expectation of having leverage that they may take to new levels of walking all over you. You have to draw lines in life. And I would tell 95 percent of people asking me for a W2 no. I'd suggest that it is an IRS document, not a job interview document. I'd suggest my expected salary and ask them what they had in mind. And if they tried to insist on a W2, I'd draw a line and leave it at, "I won't do that. Just as I assumed you aren't willing to give me a spreadsheet with the salaries of everyone who works here at this stage of our negotiation." At that point, I'd assume I am not getting the job.

The fact that you feel differently doesn't make you wrong. There is nothing saying that I have to give them that info. There is nothing saying they have to hire me. And there is nothing saying that you shouldn't give them that info if you are comfortable with it.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My salary history is, for the most part, a public record. That it's about 60% higher than it would be if I worked at a unionized university isn't all that hard to figure out, either ...

Other than verifying previous employment, the only reason a prospective employer would need to see a W-2 is to get some leverage in salary negotiations ... if there's even any negotiating going on. I don't think it's despicable ... sheesh, how much money are you going to save? ... but it's pretty distasteful. But ginning up a fake W-2 shouldn't be all that hard and not illegal (I would assume), certainly not like conjuring documents that verify one's eligibility for employment.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Here is the Atlanta Journal-Constitution version.

http://www.ajc.com/news/cobb/six-flags-job-interview-1433861.html

The kicker was the warrant was for missing a court date for driving without insurance and expired tags. Great work by Six Flags in spending its money wisely instead of actually spending money on the park.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Thanks for coming in. We'll be in touch as soon as the lab returns the results of your bone-marrow compatibility scrape."

Draft saved Draft deleted