1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Potential employers asking to see W2s

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, May 3, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=%2Fc%2Fa%2F2012%2F05%2F03%2FBUMN1OBQJ6.DTL&tsp=1

"I recently interviewed for an Amazon position and made it through the three-month interview process and was notified that they wanted to hire me. The first step in the offer process, however, was that I had to submit my previous year's W-2 or federal tax return. Without that information, they would be unable to proceed. After providing them with my W-2, they made an offer that was below the salary range they originally quoted," says Kevin,

I long for the good old days when all they wanted was your Facebook password.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I believe my gut response if asked "May we see your W-2's" would be, "What are you, drunk?"

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Job creators!

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think I've ever been asked for my W2, but I've been asked for pay stubs from previous employers...

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Walking away is the only option. That and making sure as many people know the company in question (Amazon in this case) is run by despicable shits.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

At least it's not eBay, where they make you bid down your salary and offer a Hire It Now lowball option.

7. J Staley

J Staley Member

I had to show proof of income (not necessarily W2) to work at a Verizon call center. I was told that if there was any difference between what I said I made in old jobs and what I actually made, they would rescind any offer. It was all about weeding out exaggerators because there was no room for pay negotiation. But when you're desperate for a job, you do what you must.

The fun part was that, since one of my previous newspapers had closed, the Verizon background check couldn't find record of my employment there. I had to call the good people at Scripps, and they said they didn't have record of it. Ultimately I had to get some documents from the taxation department to prove I had worked there.

But at least the job I was applying for, and got, sucked.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Just not worth it.

The only reason I can see for someone wanting to see something like your W2s is so they can negotiate down as far as possible.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Welcome to a Right to Work world, bitches.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'm sure the corporate/capitalism ball washers will be around any moment now to defend this.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Right to Work ... for nothing.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Definitely. If there were 10 jobs for every applicant, this shit wouldn't fly for a second.

But with 20 applicants for every decent job these days, employers know they've got the hammer and are using it.

Draft saved Draft deleted