1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pot, kettle. Kettle, pot.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Apr 23, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wow. I wonder how he said that with a straight face.

3. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

The man's an incompetent imbecile, that's how. I was there last month, and while there's been some progress, there's still so much to be done. Chalmette still looks as bad as it did three months after the storm. The last thing the city needs is this dimwit making more witty "off the cuff" comments.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

A buddy of mine was through there not too long ago and said there were still boats, which were washed ashored in the storm, still sitting in parking lots miles inland.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

He reminds of Nifong. Both got elected on bullshit circumstances, IMO. And I'm no Nagin hater

6. And, of course, he bears complete responsibility for everything that's gone wrong in this city.
    Not that we should have had any kind of serious federal response to this thing.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Interesting take... I actually agree with you. I think the guy is relatively powerless, even if he is a nitwit.

Just wonder why Rudy Giuliani's record as a mayor is scrutinized like mad by you (to the point that you even find a way to criticize him when he expresses views you agree with), but Ray Nagin's record as a mayor gets a finger pointing toward the place you prefer (even if I do think you are right about this).

Even with a good Federal response--which there wasn't--New Orleans would have been a mess and suffered a heap of pain. It's suffered far more pain that it should have, so this point of the finger is legit.

It just seems like the responses are automatic and predictable sometimes. It would be fun to be FB for a day, and respond in character as you. I bet I could nail it with at least a 90 percent degree of accuracy, even if I couldn't do it with your intelligence and wit (I'd also have to brush up on my picture posting skills). We should do it one day... Switch personas and post as each other. I bet you'd have fun with it.

8. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Of course Nagin doesn't bear full responsibility, and no one in this thread says he does. Every level of government failed here, and the fact people like Chertoff retained their jobs is nauseating to me as well.

Nagin has done a dreadful job since the storm, and his habit of casually tossing off comments like this is one of his more easily correctable flaws that he's done nothing to improve. He needs to be doing everything he can to build coalitions to help N.O. Off the cuff remarks which rub people the wrong way can only detract from that work.

9. When Ray Nagin arranges so that his corrupt police commissione can knock boots with a harpy paramour in an apartment overlooking Ground Zero that was supposed to be used for respite care for people pulling body parts out of the ground, and then tries to get that same corrupt dickhead appointed Director of Homeland Security, when he releases a dead man's sealed juvenile record in an attempt at spin control for a bunch of trigger-happy cops, when he humiliates his wife and kids at a press conference, when he helps cover up dangerous environmental concerns for the purposes of political advantage, then you can come talk to me about St. Rudy.

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

John McCain thinks Baghdad is cleaner than New Orleans and Philadelphia.

11. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Nagin also criticized the post-9/11 cleanup at Ground Zero, calling it "a hole in the ground."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/24/60minutes/main1933092.shtml

If you want a definitive look at Nagin--especially in the throes of Katrina--read the Brinkley book "The Great Deluge."

12. Jed Horne's book is better. And the federal government -- currently under the management of the firm of Crooked, Stupid, and Crony -- needs to be flogged, repeatedly, for losing a city and not giving a damn. (You think the response would have been any better/different if it were a suitcase nuke?)
    And Joe -- John McCain thinks Baghdad is safer, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted