1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Posting block

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BertoltBrecht, Jan 28, 2008.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Holy shit. That was my thought.
    Except, his post wasn't entirely self-deprecating:

2. This thread is surely headed off the dock into the Great Lake Of Fail.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

...without life preservers.

4. ....and wearing ankle weights.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Are you sure Mike didn't hijack your SN to post this? ;) Damn. Saw he sorta beat me to it.

I'd just echo what other folks have said. Don't worry about *starting* threads. Worry about writing posts that add value to existing threads. You can do that by sharing insight that other people have not, raising an issue other people have overlooked, or many other ways.

Posting blocks and writer's blocks come mysteriously and sometimes disappear just as mysteriously. I can still remember being so hard up for a column subject when I was writing for my college paper that I was halfway through writing a column about my obsession with Stevie Nicks.

I was copyediting a wire story and saw one word that inspired me enough to bag the column I had been writing and write a column about the Middle East peace process. Not that I really had a whole lot of business writing about the Middle East peace process for a college newspaper, but the point is that I found inspiration in the strangest place and wrote a column that wasn't an embarrassment to the space reserved for it.

6. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Is "Fleetwood Mac is lame" one word?

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Is that in Ohio?

8. It is a great underground aquifier that exists anywhere sportswriters walk the earth.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone's got one.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think I'm experiencing one now.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You're experiencing an asshole?

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Oh. Shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted