1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Posting a Resume on journalismjobs.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sportswriter2327, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Sportswriter2327

Sportswriter2327 New Member

Has anybody posted their own resume on journalismjobs.com and did they receive any contact from newspaper people looking for resumes in this fashion? I'm just wondering if its worth it because, obviously, sports jobs being posted on the site are few and far between right now.

Thanks.

2. boots

boots New Member

Don't do it. If you have, pull it off immediately. If you are looking for a gig, the last thing you want is for resume to be on a message board. Almost always word gets back to your present employer and before long comes the questions from management about the quality of your work or your focus. It's all part of a Jedi mind trick to inspire but personally, I've never needed a manager to inspire me.
    I think your intentions are well I just don't recommend putting your resume on that or any other site.
    I've had employers ask me if I were looking and I told them if

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I know someone from college who did get a call or three from posting their resume on there.

I know I haven't received any calls about mine. Bastards.

4. boots

boots New Member

Wicked, I'm not saying that it doesn't work. But I've heard a few more horror stories than winning stories about it.
    Hey, it's an outlet. I have my reasons but others may not see it that way.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I have a resume on JJobs. And I think it's a good way for hiring editors to look for and contact potential hires.

6. boots

boots New Member

Hockey, as tough as the journalism job market is today, anything helps.

7. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

I had mine up there last time I was looking for a job. I got several calls/emails from papers, but they were all small papers that I didn't want to work at.

8. healingman

healingman Guest

I'd heed the wise words of all those who've written on this topic before me. It can provide great leads ... yet if word does get back to your hiring authority(ies), then it might backfire. I've responded to particular jobs through papers looking for resumes via JJ.com, but not actually put mine out there.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I had mine up once upon a time, and I was contacted by mostly small-to-mid-sized papers.

10. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

put mine up years ago. i think it's still up there, not sure. whatever.

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I have mine up on jjobs, poynter and AP's sites. They've been up there for two or three months. I've had one person contact me and say they saw my resume and jjobs, and one from Poynter. My resume has been viewed a few times on Poynter (it tells you the number of views.) I think Boots is right about watching out for your current employer seeing it. I graduated college in May, then had an internship. It was assumed I'd be looking for a full-time job, so I don't care that it's available for all to see. As Hockeybeat said, it's a great way to get your name out. Plus, it's free.

12. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Mine is on there, but it isn't updated. It'll probably stay that way until I'm ready to move on.

Draft saved Draft deleted