1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Postgrad and junior hockey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Sigh ... seven years in Kamloops ... seven years ... and from what I know, it's gotten even worse.

I think they might hold the record for lawsuits against a sports-related non-profit organization.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What were the suits about?

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm coaching at the Bantam level right now, we are lucky the parents we have are great. Some of the worst things I have seen have been from coaches who think they're the next coming of Scotty Bowman.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

JC,
    Are we talking house league?

5. Flash

Flash Guest

You name it ... harassment, player suspensions, parent suspensions ... the list goes on ...

You want to see how bad it is there? Sink your teeth into this:

http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/2007/11/minor-hockey-column.html

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes, which makes it worse. You have coaches short shifting kids in friggin house league hockey. Some kids never leave the ice it's ridiculous.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wow. I'm pretty jaded when it comes to minor hockey but that one pretty much takes the cake. Even the GTHL wouldn't try that shit.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, I coached house league for a few years. There was one guy who thought he was Toe Blake. Stood on the bench with his fedora on, yelling at the 15 year old ref who was doing a novice game.

Let's face it if a kid is playing Bantam house league, he's playing for one reason: he loves the game and wants to hang out with his buddies.

Coaches that doubleshift kids in houseleague-at any level--should be horsewhipped.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

We have one rule on our team and that is you try as hard as you can on every shift. If you make a mistake and your trying don't worry about it. It's sounds simplistic but the kids love it. We roll all our lines and each kid knows when they come to the rink they will play as much as everybody else. Your right JR if your playing Bantam house your are there to have fun.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Yeah, I'm still not clear on how the president can't be held responsible ...

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's minor hockey. Many associations are as untouchable as the mob used to be

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

And if all else fails, they can throw barstools through the doors at antique hotels.

But yeah, I think it's an interesting scenario. I'll always remember being a freshman in college with 26-year-old hockey-playing classmates who were also freshmen and wondering, "How different is this system that these guys are still eligible to play?"

That's my strict outsider's view of a sport I know little about and do not follow, however. Yet I still find it interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted