1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Postcard from St. Pete

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzou07, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Saying "first annual" is anticipating an outcome, another such event in another 12 months.

Heaven Can Wait tried teaching us about anticipating an outcome.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Well, that ain't right either.

"Second annual" is street legal.

3. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

I paid for the trip myself and I'm glad I went. Poynter truly is a Journalistic Sanctuary. Its tropical setting even feels like a haven, of sorts.

I do wish they had made distinctions for seminars designed for pros and those aimed at students. Some of the dialogue at the individual sessions was really geared for the virgin ear, not for someone who's been in the business for 10 years. But all were helpful none the less, even if only to reinforce ideas.

One last impression: I pleasantly discovered that Woody Paige is much different than his TV personality. Take the cameras away, and he really seems like a great man. We're lucky to have someone with his compassion for people working today and representing the sports writing community. That's the great thing about seeing/hearing people at functions like this one, when the icons we see and read about are taken out of their usual environments.

And no, I'm not Woody, nor would he know me from Adam. I'm an anonymous (new) fan of his.

4. jaredk

jaredk Member

As Woody said at an APSE function a year ago, "I'm not a goof. I just play one on TV."

Draft saved Draft deleted