1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Postcard from St. Pete

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzou07, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Mizzou07

Mizzou07 New Member

Touching tribute to Van McKenzie...from someone who only knew him from this site and tonght, it was special. Jemele Hill awarded the first annual Van McKenzie Cup. A lot of talk about race with Duke LAX and Imus, with more to come in the morning session. I really think some of it could be tabled in favor of some discussion of the recent tragedy at Va Tech and the resulting coverage, but I digress.

Craft of the Interview was as good as advertised with the second part coming today. Some of these sessions, though, seem like they could be better.

Anyhow, the weather's nice.

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I knew this was going to start at some point.

Some great moments already out of the SJSII. Tomorrow looks promising as well. And, of course, you can't beat the beautiful locale.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Saw the schedule of topics, and though it's much the same names as last year, it's an A-list of people I'd want to hear talk about how they do their jobs. Would like to hear more from board regulars who were able to make it to this year's event if possible ...

4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Wrapping up the final workshop now....this year's was better than last year, I think mostly because people were able to improve on last year's and figure out where to go with it. The workshops were much more focused and informative - or maybe I just knew which ones to attend this year.

And, of course, Sawatsky is can't miss. Looks like Michelle Hiskey posted notes (from the other side of the room. Hi Michelle!) - everyone should check those out.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

St. Pete? Do yourselves a favor and head over to the Pacific Wave in downtown St. Pete for a dinner.

It isn't an annual award until there's a second award a year from now.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why do you hate america cranberry?

7. jaredk

jaredk Member

If it happens once a year, it's an annual. This award happens once in 2007.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

weak. very. weak.

9. jaredk

jaredk Member

What's weak about the proper use of a word?
    As Casey said, you could look it up.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

annual is not annual at my paper until the fifth "annual" event.

and one event does NOT equal annual in any def. it's just a flippin' event.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

What Tomas said. It's never "first-annual" anything. Use inaugural.

12. jaredk

jaredk Member

From Webster's New World...

Annual 1) of or measured by a year...2) happening or appearing once a year...

And, of course, as all wordsmiths know but often choose not to acknowledge, anyone saying "first annual" is not speaking literally but using a colloquialism that is shorthand for "the first in a series of annual presentations."

Draft saved Draft deleted