1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post-Thanksgiving Trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 28, 2008.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

A potpouri for the latest incarnation of Thursday Trivia, held today on a Friday because of the Thanksgiving holiday. Som esports, some music, some civics, so put your respective thinking caps on.

1. Who was the first running back in Navy history to gain 1,000 yards rushing in a season?
    ANSWER: Cleveland Cooper, in 1972.

2. According to urban legend, who was the woman Gordon Lightfoot is singing about in "Sundown?"
    ANSWER: Cathy Smith is correct, from Rough Mix. They had an affair for three years in the mid-1970s. She later was arrested for feeding John Belushi the fatal speedball.

3. The two capitols in the 28-year history of the Dakota Territory were:
    ANSWER: Yankton, from 1861-87, and Bismarck from 1887-89 before statehood for "the twins" in Nov. of 1889.

4. Eight Heisman Trophy winners have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame: Roger Staubach, O.J. Simpson, Paul Horning, Marcus Allen, Earl Campbell, Tony Dorsett, Barry Sanders and ...
    ANSWER: Daok Walker it is.

5. Barack Obama will be the seventh left-handed U.S. President. Who were the other six?
    ANSWER: Bush the elder; Clinton; Garfield; Hoover; Truman; Ford and Reagan. Whoops, I forgot to include Clinto in my original count so now we'll have eight lefties.

MUSICAL BONUS: This artist had a No. 6 single as a member of a group in 1973, and then had songs that reached No. 2, No. 12 and No. 17 in 1978 and No. 21 in 1979 on the "Billboard" pop singles chart before disappearing. Who is this artist?
    ANSWER: Gerry Rafferty it is. Hit No. 6 with "Stuck in the middle with you" with Stealers Wheel, and then No. 2 (Baker Street), No. 12 (Right down the line), No. 17 (Days gone by) and No. 21 (Get it right the first time).

And yes, Baker Street is a classic.

And the answer to the Gordon Lightfoot bonus question is, "Love Story."

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My guess on number 1 is Napoleon McCallum. And I know Clinton is a southpaw. (As is McCain, so even if Obama lost we would have a 7th coming in.)

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Updated with several correct answers.

PS: How can Pat Hill's name constantly be mentioned for coaching openings when laztely he's been FOFAF:Full of fail at Fresno?

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I really want to know the answer to No. 2.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bonus: Gerry Rafferty, who sang lead on "Stuck In Middle With You" by Steeler Wheel (?) and then had a shitload of hits off "City To City," including the greatest song of all-time, "Baker Street."

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Wow -- I had no idea that Gerry Rafferty actually disappeared! I figured you meant in the professional sense.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Jeez - just looked it up on Wikipedia. Didn't know that either. (And I love that the info comes from a story with the headline "Stuck in a Battle with Booze.")

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

You mean I was right?

On all things holy, I guessed that (that's Microman's request...no cheating/research). But the timeline was about perfect.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I don't know if the answer was right, although it seems to fit. I just googled Gerry and found that article, too.

10. KG

KG Active Member

We lefties have to stick together. Reagan was a lefty, even though he wrote with his right (victim of old-fashioned force by adults that wouldn't let him use his left hand), Gerald Ford, Harry Truman and Herbert Hoover. James Garfield was too (despite his very short tenure), can I get bonus points for the extra one? Like Reagan, he also had to learn to write with his right hand as well.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

That's a sentence you don't often read.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Was, actually . . . during his Screen Actors Guild days . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted