1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post story on relatives of victims in Ray Lewis obstruction of justice case

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tapintoamerica, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I completely disagree.

"Says" is used to give the story immediacy as occuring in the present tense, particularly when some of the events of the story have taken place in the past. It's a useful signal to readers that the source is talking now.

I noticed that Jeff Pearlman, and probably others, use "says" in books for interviews they actually conducted and "said" for quotes cribbed from other sources. I adopted the same style.

"Says" is fine, used correctly. It's actually preferable.

2. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Well, you're wrong. It bothers me every time I get the press releases from the NFL and coaches and players are always quoted as "says." It's the proverbial fingernails on chalk board. The person SAID it, past tense.

3. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

LOL. Not the only thing, just one of the things that really made it even more annoying to try to read.

4. So he's "wrong" because it's your pet peeve? Gotcha.

Dick Whitman is actually correct. When there are several time elements, this is a marker that keeps the reader in the present.

Unlike your reasoning, this isn't an opinion. It's the reason it's often done.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You have no idea what you're talking about.
    You also need work on picking MAJOR pet peeves.

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I've always like "says" if you're painting a scene or jumping between time periods, but rarely think it adds much elsewhere. Then again, these are all pet peeves and preferences, neither wrong not right.

Hell, the AP stylebook is really just a compendium of preferences decided by one group.

7. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Your style is wrong, then.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Seems like this said vs. says debate could be its own thread and we could talk about the ethical complexities faced by the reporters competing for this story.

9. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Not only that, but it's a debate we've had here, several fucking times.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/85387/

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/71480/

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This story has slimey all over it. The mother obviously didn't care enough to go to this kids grave for 13 years, yet the WP prods her into going, then shoots photos of her crying and quotes her.

I got a sickly, greasy feeling reading this. It didn't turn into one of those pieces that reaches into the pit of your stomach and turns it inside out. I'm sure they thought they had a home run when they produced this.

All I see is a media taking advantage of someone's suffering to cash in on and exploit. Disgraceful.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Agree on all that. Not the WaPo's finest hour. The graveside visit was completely unnecessary. If she brought it up and suggested it? Fine. Otherwise, the story (stories) could have been written without that.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

WaPo used to give a shit.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted