1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post-Star lead page designer/copy editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Greg_Brownell, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Greg_Brownell

Greg_Brownell New Member

The Post-Star, a 33,000-circulation daily newspaper in upstate New York, is looking for someone to take the lead in designing our section.
    Candidates must be proficient in InDesign, QuarkXPress or a similar design program. We generally hire someone with full-time experience for this position, but we will consider an exceptional entry-level candidate.
    The person who takes this job will design our section four times a week, with a fifth day reserved for planning and advance work. The job will involve some copy editing. This person will also redesign templates from time to time, handle special sections, and once established, lead the way in making sure our section has a consistent, clean design.
    We have a reputation as one of the top small-newspaper sports sections in the country, and the person we hire will play a key role in upholding that tradition.
    Candidates will need to submit a resume and samples of their design work. Applications may be sent via e-mail to brownell@poststar.com, or to:
    Greg Brownell
    Sports Editor
    The Post-Star
    P.O. Box 2157
    Glens Falls, N.Y. 12801

2. Headline act

Headline act New Member

This is one of the best jobs in the business and for one of the nicest guys in the business. Anyone looking to learn from some top flight journalists should jump at this job.

And yes, I was once a former employee

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Greg,

Can you tell us where the previous owner of this position is headed? I know you guys have a reputation for sending former staffers off to bigger papers. What's your alumni list looking like now?

And I'll back Headline up, this is a great, great paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted