1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post-Oscars 2014

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 23, 2015.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The best part was when she later claimed that she didn't know what jigaboo meant or that it was even a word.

Then there was this foolishness from Shonda Rhimes.

Shonda Rhimes Thinks Gaga's 'Sound of Music' was 'Scandal-ous' | Live Nation - Yahoo Music

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The "In Memorium" segments run from last year's Oscar showing to the current year's Oscar show, not from calendar year to calendar year. I found this out when I was flabbergasted that Philip Seymour Hoffman was left out of this year's segment (he died in February of 2014), and tried to find out how/why that could possibly happen -- unless the Academy really did want to commit a glaring, major mistake of a snub.

Hoffman actually anchored the In Memorium segment of last year's Oscars. (He died right before them, in February of 2014).

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You know, he actually does, now that you mention it. :)

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Turns out there just wasn't enough time to include Rivers:

In a statement to The Hollywood Reporter, an Oscar rep explained the decision to not include the iconic comedian. "Joan Rivers is among the many worthy artists and filmmakers we were unfortunately unable to feature in the In Memoriam segment of this year's Oscar show," reads the statement. "She is, however, included in our In Memoriam gallery on Oscar.com."

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I swear they are selling In Memoriam spots. Joan Rivers doesn't make it but a half-dozen "marketing executives" do?

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Driving people to the web site? When did the Oscars get bought out by Gannett?

old_tony likes this.
  7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The Joan Rivers snub doesn't really bother me. Aside from Muppets Take Manhattan, she has very few live acting credits in feature films (though her voiceover work as Dot Matrix in Spaceballs was awesome).

I get that she's associated with the Oscars, but she's associated with the fashion of the event, not with the films. Let the Emmys honor her.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

For those who were wondering what was up with Terrence Howard's odd presentation at the Academy Awards, he explained it pretty hilariously on Fallon. He decided he wanted to memorize the segment, rather than read off the teleprompter, and he choked.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I suppose I could post this in the NYPD Blue thread, but Howard played a kind of helpless skell in an episode that ran in May of 1998. It was run Tuesday night on the continual running of the show on DirecTV's Audience Network.

Draft saved Draft deleted