1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post-Oscars 2014

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

NPH had a lot of little quips that if you perverbally blinked you missed them. I liked it a lot better when he went off script. The moment he had with Steve Carell where NPH just lost it because Carell was actually playing along was great.

Did anyone else notice when they turned on the presenter mics the sound was really bad? There was this constant white noise that made it feel like you were sitting next to a speaker that was turned on too high.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My brother-in-law noticed that (he lives in NYC), but I had no issues with my feed.

3. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I thought that might be the problem. I wish he had admitted there was a teleprompter issue rather than pretending to be too choked up to speak.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I thought it was my TV (out here on the West Coast) at first until I went to bed and flipped on my set in the room and the same thing was happening.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Folks are making a big deal out of Joan Rivers being snubbed in the "In Memoriam" segment. I thought Harold Ramis not being in was more inexcusable.

heyabbott likes this.
  6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Both should have been there. But, I agree, Ramis is the bigger snub since Rivers is better known for being on TV.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This was already discussed earlier in the thread -- Ramis was in it last year.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Taylor Negron's family is pissed too, and they probably have the right to be.

Taylor Negron's Family -- Livid at Oscar Snub ... NPH's Junk Got More Air Time Than Him! | TMZ.com

Rivers not so much. Was she even in movies? I think she wrote "Rabbit Test," with Billy Crystal as a pregnant man in the mid 1970s, but don't remember much else.
    Should she be recognized for her red carpet work?

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Do they have to have died in 2014?

Negron should have been in there... They had a lot of actors and cinematographers that nobody outside of the business has heard of. I have no problem with those guys being honored, but they should take a few extra minutes and make sure nobody is snubbed.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's so weird that they can't e we seem to get the In Memorium segment right. It's not like it's that hard to fact check who died this year.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You don't like "The Sound of Music"? :)

Regardless, I don't think the inclusion of that segment had to do with Lady Gaga, unless you don't think the Academy could've gotten anybody else to sing the medley...like, say, Julie Andrews, who turned up, herself, at the Oscars, too, probably at the behest of the Academy.

I think it was just supposed to be a citing and celebration of the 50th anniversary of "The Sound of Music," and its 1965 Best Picture Oscar.

Draft saved Draft deleted