1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post-Oscars 2014

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

But Penn is the kind of guy who doesn't mean what he says. Those guys never do.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One of the running gags in Birdman was that you could tell an actor anything they want to hear (Scorsese will be in the house tonight looking to cast his new movie) and they will believe you.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It looked very much like the Teleprompter went out. He was pausing and saying this next film was amazing or something, and it sounded like he was building up to Selma but that wasn't the movie. Looked to me like he was stalling for time.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I got the impression the teleprompter was acting wonky all night. A lot of people had trouble with their lines. Not sure if that's what had Howard acting a little funny, but I did think there were teleprompter problems.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I still don't get exactly what this is supposed to mean.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Didn't care. Didn't watch.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I thought Gaga was tremendous, the highlight of the night. But like Boom, I can't help but find the tats jarring in the total presentation.

NPH should sue his writers.

I had wanted Keaton to get his due, but as I watched the presentation of the nominees in the category, I realized nobody but Redmayne could win that.

Oh, one more thing. I thought Teegan and Sara were singing Japanese until I noticed they didn't cover their mouths and titter after each stanza.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree that NPH was hamstrung with some really bad jokes. Reese With her spoon? Get it?

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's my favorite part too, and agree, it sucks how they do it now. Feels rushed, which is ironic in a 4-hour show. And I like the film clips, which seem like a better celebration of their than just still pics. Plus I liked hearing the audience give the top stars one final round of applause, which you don't hear anymore.

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I still would be very surprised if they don't ask him back.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Thanks for stopping by.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

My pleasure.

Draft saved Draft deleted