1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post-Oscars 2014

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Do you seriously think "conversations would agree with" his statement?

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I know Penn hasn't been known for his comic chops since Fast Times came out, but did anybody actually think he was being serious? Penn starred in the guy's first American movie.

It never registered with me as a controversial comment.

That said, after Penn's humorless shot at Chris Rock over the Jude Law joke, maybe he had this coming...

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I seriously think this whole thing is stupid.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Based upon political discourse regarding immigration, yes, I'd say many conservatives probably do agree. More than that, though, it was a cheap shot joke. Lighten up, Francis.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I thought it was funny. Sounded like a Bidenism

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. RecoveringJournalist

"I found it hilarious," Inarritu said. "Sean and I have that kind of brutal (relationship) where only true friendship can survive."

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No doubt it was a joke among friends. That was obvious.
    Still, a lot of people have been ruined by similar incidents (and even more innocent comments than that) for which they didn't get a pass.

8. RecoveringJournalist

I'm curious what you think is a similar comparison. A comment/joke made by a person about another person who happens to be a close friend that "ruined" them.

If Penn and Inarritu aren't close friends, it's wildly inappropriate, but if they weren't close friends, he never would have said it.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to know what you're comparing it to.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but just as some people can use the N word while others can't and fume about it, Sean Penn has pretty well-established liberal credentials. So he can make that joke without anyone accusing him of being a racist who wants to build a fence across the Mexican border.

10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Am I the only person who thought Terrence Howard's introduction of some of the best picture nominees a bit odd?

11. RecoveringJournalist

True, but even more than that, he's teasing a friend. If he said, "And the winner is... Send them back to Africa... Selma!" I'm not sure his liberal street cred gets him out of that one.

I laughed hard at the comment, in part because Penn isn't exactly known for having a sense of humor. He proved me wrong twice, with the comment to Inarritu and his hilarious appearance on Kimmel's after show.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The only thing odder than Terrence Howard's overly dramatic intro was John Travolta's ... just John Travolta.

Draft saved Draft deleted