1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 4, 2007.

1. So we demand more and more testing, the results of which we will decline to believe, so we have more testing that we won't believe.
    This seems increasingly like an unsolvable problem.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Jemele has gotten better since she went to ESPN. I mean that.
    I still don't think she had the experience, background and cred, but I was wrong on the outcome.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Everything's falling into place for Dick Pound to one day rule the world! Muhahahahaha.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Stephan A Smith Roasted Marion Jones on his radio show today, he didn't call her anything stronger than a liar and a cheat, but he so owned the (insert Isaiah Thomas euphemism)

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

At the open, I said to give her six months.

She's largely fulfilled our hopes -- in a good way.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Jemele has done some excellent work at ESPN, I concur. Thank goodness there is some grounded work being done there to balance out the "Simmons frat boy" approach.
    - - - - -

Ok, here's Rhoden's take on Marion Jones:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/06/sports/othersports/06rhoden.html?ref=sports&pagewanted=print

You know what, it's damn good.

Yes, it could be nitpicked that he doesn't mention his own belief in Jones' innocence. But it's a very good column, and I was fully prepared not to come to that conclusion.

Excellent job by Rhoden. Not only did he not avoid the issue of Jones' doping, he came at it with both pro-active advice for Jones and delivered in well-written prose.

Props to Bill on this one.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's not nitpicking to suggest he should own up to his own mistaken belief in her innocence. Accountability should matter and that means admitting our mistakes, which he absolutely failed to do here.

8. boots

boots New Member

Bullshit. If Rhoden had "admitted" his mistake, the resident clowns here would be ripping him. He didn't and he's getting ripped.
    Bill Rhoden can't win approval among the SportsJournalists.com masses as a columnist.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks for the input, fanboy.

10. boots

boots New Member

There's a message in all of this boys and girls: Be careful of what you wish for.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Looks like Rhoden, or is it Rodent>, owes someone a huge apology.

In the case of whether Marion Jones was a liar and a cheat, Richard Pound got it right and William Rhoden got it wrong, but Pound never accused Rhoden of anything, so Billy needs to own up and admit not only was he wrong, but his prejudice and bias prevented him from seeing what was before his eyes. Rhoden's prejudice and bias kept him and keeps him from reporting anything but his own anger.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah. That's going to happen -- right after the Phoden apologists admit their guy was wrong...

Draft saved Draft deleted