1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post here if you don't feel that bad about your job.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheMethod, Feb 22, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

As my older brother said to me last month:

"You've spent your entire adult life making a decent living doing the only job you ever talked about doing from the time you were 12 years old. Do you realize how great that is?"

2. I've had a hard time seeing the forest through the trees recently but yes, I love my job.

3. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

Completely content with where I am and what I'm doing. I work with good, smart people who care about what we're building.

Beyond all that, it took me a long time to figure out that if my life outside work were grand, I could ride out the rough spots in the office. I go home every night to a wife and a dog who love me far more than my job ever could.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Love my job, if it didn't involve ever stepping in an airport again, I'd be the happiest person ever.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I am learning to love my job after some thought. I am at my second job and I took a pay cut to get to where I am now. I set goals for myself and when I reach those goals, I must say I find satisfaction in what I do. I can find even more satisfaction in what I do when I set a goal that was supposed to be reached three years down the road and I am doing it now.

6. hankschu

hankschu Member

In the words of some baseball guy, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.

I have been fortunate to cover a Major League Baseball team for most of the last 20 years while working for 15 of those years for one of the best human beings ever to fill a sports editor's office.

I have covered World Series, All-Star Games and the rise and fall of the greatest player of our generation, and I consider myself very fortunate to be part of a special fraternity of writers.

Could I make more money elsewhere? Sure. But nobody will pay me anything near what I get now to wake up at 11 a.m., write about baseball and get a paycheck every week.

Has the job been perfect? Hell no. Would I trade it for any other job? I doubt it.

The only real question I have is why I have been so fortunate to be where I am.

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I'm content with where I am now but this is the end of the line for me. If the checks start bouncing, I'm out the door.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I do look back with joy on some of the great things I got to do as a writer. I could easily make a top 10 list - not sure I could do that as a manager. I do sometimes wonder if I made a mistake going the management route. Had I stayed a writer, I might still be in the business. Or I coulda been canned by now.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Completely happy.

10. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I think there is a lot to be said for this. From my circle of friends in high school -- 20 or so people --three of us are still doing what we always wanted to do: One is a small-time jazz musician who's scraping by, one is in medical school and the third is me.

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I generally love my job.
    Would love it more if it didn't entail as much blogging -- and dealing with blog responses -- as it does.

12. Like the job, or at least the writing and reporting aspects of it, not the desk aspects.

Scared shitless about whether there's any kind of secure future in it.

I think they are separate issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted