1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post-Graduation Lull

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kritter47, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Monkey

Monkey Member

My first job (august after may graduation) was as a writer making $22K. Six months later, it was $25K. On my year anniversary, it was $28K. Five years, and two job promotions, later, I make more than double where I started.

Morale: Take what you can get when you start. The pay does get better.

2. newspaperhack

newspaperhack New Member

My first job paid about $20K. Ramen you say? I know a thing about ramen. If I didn't eat ramen everyday at this job, I never would've been able to pay the bills. Anyway, went to grad school for a semester, left, got a better job. But you have way more experience than I did when I graduated (about two years of experience at a college paper), so you shouldn't have a problem. Just don't limit yourself -- send out clips packets like a direct mail monkey on crystal meth, and someone will call.

3. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

Kritter, I'm 23 and graduated after the fall semester. Like you I had a lot of college experience. Right now I'm the sports editor of a small town daily making in the neighborhood of $23K, but in a small town that goes a long way. Plus, at a smaller paper I've found I get to do anything -- pagination, copy editing, photography, agate all on top of the writing. I would recommend the small daily path to anyone just starting out.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

20K? I wish.

I'm barely clearing 15K here. :-\

Draft saved Draft deleted