1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Post-Gender' Baby Names

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I know a Horace. It is an uncommon name, but definitely not a non-gender name.
    The Horace I know is male. Horace the Roman poet, Horace Grant, Horace Greeley - all men.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I say non-gender or gender-neutral. I don't like the term post-gender.

Anyway, another issue with this is the increased habit of young parents using names that were formally nicknames or diminutive forms of more traditional names - Chris, Alex, Jamie, etc.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I've heard the name Greeley. That one is cringe-inducing.

But who am I to talk. We gave our daughter an eye-roller of a name ... but she likes it and has never met anyone else with that name. For some reason, probably because I'm a sexist pig from a heteronormative dictatorship, it felt better to take a gamble in naming a girl.

Our oldest, we thought we were giving him a somewhat rare but recognizable boy's name -- and about six months after he was born we started to notice how many girls were cropping up with that name. C'est la vie.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

One of our boys has a fairly common and the other has an uncommon name.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

For work, I've dealt with women named Michael and Timothy. My male friend goes by Kelly Andrew since he's pretty sure he lost out on a job he really wanted once because the interviewer was expecting a woman and was flustered throughout the interview.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

John Wayne's given first name was Marion.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I've known 3 men named Beverly but all of them born before 1950.

Lugnuts likes this.
  8. Not in Stars Hollow, sir.

You shut your Damn mouth. If Lorelai Gilmore deems fit to name her daughter Rory, by Hell, Rory she shall be!!!!

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I grew up with a boy named Gay, and there was also an unrelated woman named Gay.

You don't hear that one much anymore.

Lugnuts likes this.
  10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

We now turn to the wisdom of George.

11. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted