1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post Gazette wants trial of boy open to public

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by McNuggetsMan, Sep 23, 2011.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I shouldn't waste my time, but . . . .

Joe Schmo is a person.

Since "the People of . . . . " are the plaintiffs in a criminal trial, Joe Schmo, as one of The People, has every right to know what's going on in the courtroom.

2. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

Ok well then what if its a civil case. And no they don't really have a right to know. It's none of his business.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I agree with Skip. I mean, I think the practice of covering trials is so antiquated and it's not serving your readers one bit.

In fact, I think we should abolish all criminal coverage. And that doesn't just mean trials, it means any investigative reporting, any cops and court beats. Hell, if you think about it, only bad things happen when reporters go sticking their noses where it doesn't belong.

Much better to focus on the important, POSITIVE news of a community. You know, the yard sales, the birthday parties. We, as a newspaper industry, wonder why people don't value our product any more and, clearly, it's because we waste our time uncovering corruption and providing the public with information they don't really want to know.

So, what say you all? I say we quit covering things that are yucky and stop trying to keep people informed in the matters that are most important to them.

That's what Twitter is for.

4. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

I think the crime stuff is fine when it's public figures. But why would you try to ruin somebody's life by butting into their business is beyond me. Even Madoff got unfair treatment by the media.

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

This is some kind of performance art right? Post inane things to draw response and make others characters in contrived drama? No one can try to work in journalism and have THIS little of any idea of why trials should be open to the public.

Well here's the answer: trials are open becuase transparency is important in the legal system. If trials were not open, the government could levy all sorts of unjust punishments without the public knowing. Now you could probably point to a whole boatload of issues with the legal system, but that seems like a pretty key fundamental principal.

6. If that 11-year-old went all Casey Anthony (or in this case shotgunned his pregnant stepmom) on a kid, yes.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

SkipToMyLou sure is a fly in the buttermilk.

8. He's out there, but he fits in nicely with some of these cast of characters.

9. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

So ... Wait a second. I'm about to pose a logical argument here. I shan't waste the keystrokes. Instead, I'll ask the bums at the train station where Prince Fielder will sign next year.

I wish I was a mod.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Nick Nolte...looking FIERCE!

Draft saved Draft deleted