1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post-Gazette v. Richard Scaife, publisher of the Trib.-Review

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 23, 2007.

1. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

OK, this ought to be easy. Big time coach wants your notebook that contains information you legally obtained showing the coach in a bad light.

Do you give it to him? Do you let a judge force you to give it to him? Or do you publish what you got before the judge gets a chance to decide?

Rich folks think they run the world. Rich folks do run newspapers. Every once in a while, fate hands you a rose instead of a pile of manure. Run with it and enjoy. It doesn't happen very often.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Digging into somebody's divorce proceedings? Sounds more like spraying manure with some perfume and trying to pass it off as roses.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

People are missing the point here.

Somebody seeks to surpress what should be public information, you publish it immediately, before a judge rules you can't. That way, the documents have been published, making anything contained therein public information in at least two places.

I'm sure part of this is pissing in Scaife's corn flakes, but I'd bet it's also what their lawyer told them to do.

And, like it or not, divorce proceedings are in the public record. Plenty of small town rags print all of them.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Ya know what, the Tribune-Review used the death of former Post Gaztte publisher Bill Block as an opportunity to talk about the upcoming battle with the newspaper's guild and declining circulation numbers...in his OBITUARY...in 2005. So they threw the first punch, and I have very little sympathy. Wanna goose someone in an obit? Don't be surprised if they come gunnin' for your asshole with a 12-inch dildo.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Do they have the right? Probably.

Is it right to do it? No.

Your defense of it and your giddiness that it was done says a lot about you, Fenian. Nice job.

6. outofplace

Like I said above, the Trib has definitely been doing the same type of thing for a while. That obit was a disgrace.

Doesn't make what the P-G does right, though.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I have said it once and I will say it again:

Our obsession with ourselves will eventually doom us. We love reporting the latest crap involving our business, and the average reader couldnt give two shits about it. Who outside of Post-Gazette employees and Trib employees would give a damn about this story? Same thing with the Paul Zeise/Michael Vick comments. The Post Gazette blows it all out of proportion, releases a statement and basically stomps around and says,"Look are our fuckin' ethics, will ya? We repremanded the guy and apologized for his insensitive comments...and no one even had to tell us to! Have you ever SEEN anyone more ETHICAL than US!???"

Meanwhile, not one reader saw or gave a shit what Zeise said. There were no letters to the editor, no pickets on the Boulevard of the Allies, none of it.

Bottom line: people dont wanna read about our petty battles. They dont care. They dont wanna read an editorial bitching about the local Dumbfuckistan PD not providing information. They dont wanna hear about what government agency is stonewalling us. They just want the finished product, and they dont give a shit how it got finished.

8. outofplace

Nicely done. Wlat would be proud.

9. Yeah, it says that I weep not when a public loon who went out of his way to finance politics that -- among other things -- involved flogging people with Vince Foster's corpse, and who once called a reporter for the CJR a "fucking Communist pussycat," gets publicly humiliated by his own hand.
    And the horse he rode in on, by the way.
    I may stop laughing sometime around Christmas.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Bill Clinton: "Karma's a bitch, Mr. Scaife."

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Like they say, "Don't get mad...get even".

The P-G should publish a special colour supplement on this scumbag's divorce proceedings.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Get even?
    C'mon, this isn't the Post vs Daily News.

Draft saved Draft deleted