1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post-Gazette Pirates Beat

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dkphxf, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Sacrilicious

Sacrilicious New Member

Today brought some more turnover for the PG. Dejan Kovacevic announced on Twitter he is leaving to become a columnist at the Tribune-Review. http://twitter.com/#!/Dejan_Kovacevic/status/78268257873825792

Geez, there really won't be anyone left to cover the Pirates over there.

2. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

All I can say is wow. He left after 26 years at the PG. But I'm not sure how this will impact the Pirates gig. Bill Brink was the No. 2 guy with Colin and traveled with the team recently.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

it's like Drip-Lite...

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Wow. Not only has Dejan been there forever, he was a real workhorse. I don't know too many other baseball beat guys who did hard-core news series like he did. Huge loss for the paper.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

WOW. That's a huge get for the Trib-Review. Dejan knew his shit at the PG, even when the Pirates were pure shit. He was/is very knowledgeable about baseball.

1, 2, 3: No, I'm not Dejan and I don't know him. Congratulations, though!

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

When was the last time anyone left the PG for the Trib? And Rob Rossi doesn't count.

7. TheRaven

TheRaven New Member

Rossi doesn't count for two reasons - he is irrelevant and the P-G didn't want to keep him. There is no guy in that town who wants to be a star worse than him and yet he is known far more around town for having a Fu Man Chu stache on TV than anything he has done in journalism.

Bill Steigerwald, who is a columnist on the news side is the last one I can think of that went from P-G to Trib.

Interestingly enough, the last and only guy I can think of to go from the Trib to the P-G was Colin Dunlap and well, given his actions in recent weeks - starting with him quitting with no notice - I'm thinking there has to be some buyer's remorse on the P-G's part.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I forgot about Steigerwald. Really surprised the Trib was able to steal Dejan away.

Rossi definitely doesn't count. Neither does Dunlap. He was just a freelancer for the Trib. That's how he started with the PG, too, and worked his way up.

9. btm

btm Member

Coincidence that Finder, Dunlap and Dejan all have bailed on the P-G in the past year?

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There was a good deal of separation between Finder's departure and that of Dunlap and Kovacevic. If I remember correctly, Finder accepted a buyout.

11. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

They should draft Paul Meyer to come back. Loved that guy.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Hello, Pittsburgh Post Gazette."

"Hi, this is Clint Hurdle of the Pirates."

"Pirates? Of what? The Carribean?"

"Ha, ha, I've heard that one before. I'm calling in my game from tonight."

"Oh, OK, What happened?"

"Well, you would know what happened, if you had a reporter attending on a regular basis."

"Sorry, we had to cover that Riverside-Karns City game. You know, we can't be at every game."

"Well, you should have been at this one. I mean, Neil Walker went 0-for 4 with three strikeouts, but in the previous game, he just broke the 40-RBI mark. You really should do an article on him. How much would it take?"

"Like I've said, we've been really busy as of late. We'll keep Neil in mind."

"Oh, I see how it is. I'm getting tired of you only covering us when the Phillies come to town. So how much will it take?"

"No, no, we don't accept money. But anyways, how did it go tonight?"

"We lost to the Cubs, 10-1. Andrew McCutchen had a double, stole third and scored on a wild pitch by Zambrano. That was it pretty much. Oh, and Joe Beimel had two strikeouts".

"Two strikeouts? That's pretty good for him. He's coming on."

"Well, he struck out Zambrano and their 8th hitter. Those were the only two outs he recorded. He also gave up five runs. But can you not mention that? I don't need his mother to be calling me?"

Draft saved Draft deleted